Cnc machining
Stu W
2003-06-28 21:04:14 UTC
Hi all i have a machine i represent i have open time in cnc milling and
turning of precise machined parts to extreme tolerances. I have capacity op
turning and milling of most materials short run and very fast turnaround. If
there is a job you have in mind please foward to me i can do custom one off
parts as well.

Thank you

Stu
DanL
Just curious, what's your definition of "extreme tolerances" ?
DanL
2003-06-29 00:51:58 UTC
Post by DanL
Just curious, what's your definition of "extreme tolerances" ?
Orthopedic tolerances, you know the joint bone surgeons, tolerances are
simililar
to the best in aerospace industry, that we would find in satelites things
going to mars,
in the tenths.
John
That would be my definition as well. I was just curious what his definition
was. Thanks for replying though John <g>
Jon
2003-06-29 01:05:47 UTC
Post by Stu W
parts as well.
Thank you
Just curious, what's your definition of "extreme tolerances" ?
Orthopedic tolerances, you know the joint bone surgeons, tolerances
are simililar
to the best in aerospace industry, that we would find in satelites
things going to mars,
in the tenths.
John
Damn Orthopedic tolerances. They want the parts made to extreme tolerances,
then they look like construction workers and body & fender guys hammering
and smashing and augering out those hip sockets with a hand drill. I'm sure
the .001 total tolerance held on that hip really matter when the surgeon is
hoggin' out that socket by hand.
Jon
Matt Stawicki
2003-06-29 03:24:19 UTC
Post by Jon
Post by Stu W
parts as well.
Thank you
Just curious, what's your definition of "extreme tolerances" ?
Orthopedic tolerances, you know the joint bone surgeons, tolerances
are simililar
to the best in aerospace industry, that we would find in satelites
things going to mars,
in the tenths.
John
Damn Orthopedic tolerances. They want the parts made to extreme tolerances,
then they look like construction workers and body & fender guys hammering
and smashing and augering out those hip sockets with a hand drill. I'm sure
the .001 total tolerance held on that hip really matter when the surgeon is
hoggin' out that socket by hand.
Jon
Really! Made a dental implant back around '79 or '80. Had a .060" stem
on it. The doctor wanted the stem knurled. But he only wanted 3
splines. IIRC, he wanted the diameter raised about .005-.010" or so,
but what I'll never forget is that he wanted a +/-.0005" tolerance! My
boss asked him if he really thought he was going to be able to drill a
hole that close by hand. "Of course!", was his reply.

Yeah, right.

Matt
ff
2003-06-29 04:33:28 UTC
Post by Matt Stawicki
Post by Jon
Damn Orthopedic tolerances. They want the parts made to extreme tolerances,
then they look like construction workers and body & fender guys hammering
and smashing and augering out those hip sockets with a hand drill. I'm sure
the .001 total tolerance held on that hip really matter when the surgeon is
hoggin' out that socket by hand.
Jon
Really! Made a dental implant back around '79 or '80. Had a .060" stem
on it. The doctor wanted the stem knurled. But he only wanted 3
splines. IIRC, he wanted the diameter raised about .005-.010" or so,
but what I'll never forget is that he wanted a +/-.0005" tolerance! My
boss asked him if he really thought he was going to be able to drill a
hole that close by hand. "Of course!", was his reply.
Yeah, right.
Matt
Was it titanium? I've seen sets of those that come in graduated sizes
with matching drill bits.
I don't remember exactly, I was spitting blood and tooth into a small
sink at the time ;-)

Fred
Bill Roberto
2003-06-29 20:57:57 UTC
Post by Matt Stawicki
Really! Made a dental implant back around '79 or '80. Had a .060" stem
on it. The doctor wanted the stem knurled. But he only wanted 3
splines. IIRC, he wanted the diameter raised about .005-.010" or so,
but what I'll never forget is that he wanted a +/-.0005" tolerance! My
boss asked him if he really thought he was going to be able to drill a
hole that close by hand. "Of course!", was his reply.
Yeah, right.
Matt
I made some dental implants out of titanium a while back too. They were
about .125 diameter and about .625 long. It had 2 slots cut through the
centerline 90 degrees apart. The bottom of the implant was a full
radius.
Post by Matt Stawicki
The top had 2 styles. One with a male thread and one with a female
thread.
Post by Matt Stawicki
They both had a hex at the threaded side. The tolerance on the hex was
+/-
Post by Matt Stawicki
.0005 and concentricity from the hex to the body was .0005. I asked the
customer why such tight seemingly meaningless tolerances and he said
patients will thoroughly investigate every new item installed in the
mouth
Post by Matt Stawicki
with their tongue. If the hex didn't feel symmetrical the patients would
bitch that something isn't right. Seemed like a reasonable answer.
Now you know what to use if you don't have a micrometer handy...
John
You see that burr? Lick it and tell me if it is sharp. What about steps in
corners? Here lick this, tell me how far off it is. It tastes like about
.0015. Before we unhook this machine, would you mind touching your tongue to
one of the leads and see if it is live? Look at all the money wasted on
expensive devices that can be replaced with the tongue.
Thomas Nulla
2003-06-30 10:42:43 UTC
Post by Bill Roberto
You see that burr? Lick it and tell me if it is sharp. What about steps in
corners? Here lick this, tell me how far off it is. It tastes like about
.0015. Before we unhook this machine, would you mind touching your tongue to
one of the leads and see if it is live? Look at all the money wasted on
expensive devices that can be replaced with the tongue.
Like the Funbeam Screwmaster... :-)
--
Thomas -email replies: remove delthis to reply-

http://home.austin.rr.com/tnulla/index.htm (high fidelity, liquid PC)
"I receive a ton of spam every day. Much of it offers to help me get
out of debt, or get rich quick." Bill Gates
Gary
2003-06-30 20:11:14 UTC
Post by Thomas Nulla
Post by Bill Roberto
You see that burr? Lick it and tell me if it is sharp. What about steps in
corners? Here lick this, tell me how far off it is. It tastes like about
.0015. Before we unhook this machine, would you mind touching your tongue to
one of the leads and see if it is live? Look at all the money wasted on
expensive devices that can be replaced with the tongue.
Like the Funbeam Screwmaster... :-)
Where can I apply for a marketing job with Funbeam? I want to be
the person who holds interactive product demonstrations, preferably
near a college campus.

Gary & Harvey
Gary
2003-07-02 00:07:23 UTC
Hmm....and I thought you didn't like tuna......
If they smell similar to you then get something checked out, either
your nose or your... you've got a malfunction...
I think I see an inconsistency---
I wonder if I should tell Bob....
Grasshopper finds enough inconsistencies without any help.

Gary & Harvey

Bing
2003-06-29 07:56:23 UTC
Post by Jon
Post by Stu W
parts as well.
Thank you
Just curious, what's your definition of "extreme tolerances" ?
Orthopedic tolerances, you know the joint bone surgeons, tolerances
are simililar
to the best in aerospace industry, that we would find in satelites
things going to mars,
in the tenths.
John
Damn Orthopedic tolerances. They want the parts made to extreme tolerances,
then they look like construction workers and body & fender guys hammering
and smashing and augering out those hip sockets with a hand drill. I'm sure
the .001 total tolerance held on that hip really matter when the surgeon is
hoggin' out that socket by hand.
Eeeek !
I think I still have a Linvatec video here of a hip replacement.
The poor guy looked like a pretzel.

I wonder if they let him watch it afterwards?

Bing
John Scheldroup
2003-06-29 14:19:04 UTC
Post by Jon
Post by DanL
Just curious, what's your definition of "extreme tolerances" ?
Damn Orthopedic tolerances. They want the parts made to extreme tolerances,
then they look like construction workers and body & fender guys hammering
and smashing and augering out those hip sockets with a hand drill. I'm sure
the .001 total tolerance held on that hip really matter when the surgeon is
hoggin' out that socket by hand.
Jon
One thing Ive heard is the problem for surgeon/patient to hold these bearing like
tolerances when if person has osteoporosis, when fasteners can slip a percent of degree,
theirby it places undue amounts of pressure on those nerves to, eventual this causes more
pain when the lube runs dry and loosy goosy tolerances kick in.

John
Anthony
2003-06-29 06:08:32 UTC
Post by Stu W
parts as well.
Thank you
Just curious, what's your definition of "extreme tolerances" ?
My definition of "extreme tolerances" would be 1 micron or less. Normal
tolerances are +/- 4 microns, and 'Happy tolerances' are anything over 10
microns.
--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email
Stu W
Stu
Stu W
2003-06-29 02:43:57 UTC
I am in eastern long island
Post by Stu W
there is a job you have in mind please foward to me i can do custom one
off
Post by Stu W
parts as well.
Thank you
Stu
Where you at, Stu ?
SVL
PrecisionMachinist
2003-06-29 04:48:43 UTC
Post by Stu W
Where you at, Stu ?
I am in eastern long island
Too far to be shipping extrusion what with relativly short turnarounds I am
faced with or I might have given you a whirl.

SVL
Ken
2003-06-29 04:14:29 UTC
Orthopedic tolerances, you know the joint bone surgeons, tolerances are
simililar
to the best in aerospace industry, that we would find in satelites things
going to mars,
in the tenths.
John
Hmmm.... The parts I made that just got launched to mars were XX .01 XXX
.005.

But they were thin walled, deep pocketed and extremely Titanium.

Ken
Cybercut Precision Machining-
"Quality is created, not controlled."