When do you decide to use the EDM method vs. CNC machining?
Candy-o
2003-11-14 15:20:24 UTC
When do you decide to use the EDM method vs. CNC machining?

Candy-O
Garlicdude
2003-11-14 15:37:30 UTC
Post by Candy-o
When do you decide to use the EDM method vs. CNC machining?
Candy-O
Could you be more vague?
--
Regards,
Steve Saling
http://www.pulsareng.com/
Charlie Gary
2003-11-14 15:59:46 UTC
Post by Garlicdude
Post by Candy-o
When do you decide to use the EDM method vs. CNC machining?
Candy-O
Could you be more vague?
That would be tough. <G> I'll try with an answer. ("Smart-ass" cap in
place) We decide which to use depending on which one is more cost
effective. ("Smart-ass" cap removed) :-)
--
Later,

Charlie

fix the e-mail address and it will get to me
Gary H. Lucas
2003-11-14 16:17:55 UTC
Post by Garlicdude
Post by Candy-o
When do you decide to use the EDM method vs. CNC machining?
Candy-O
Could you be more vague?
--
Regards,
Steve Saling
aka The Garlic Dude
Gilroy, CA
The Garlic Capital of The World
http://www.pulsareng.com/
Hey guys, we have a young lady engineering student here. Sometimes you
don't know how to ask the question until you no longer need to ask it!

I'll take a little stab at it. Most of the time EDM is a far slower
process. Except for wire EDM you also have to make a tool before you can
make a part. So you are almost always better off with conventional
machining if you can do it that way. However there are lots of instances
where conventional machining can't do the job. Any pocket with sharp inside
corners for instance. Or say a helical gear mold cavity that can't be made
in two pieces. So the decision on which one to us is often made for you by
the part you need to make.

Gary H. Lucas
Cliff Huprich
2003-11-14 17:07:43 UTC
Post by Gary H. Lucas
Except for wire EDM you also have to make a tool before you can
make a part. So you are almost always better off with conventional
machining if you can do it that way. However there are lots of instances
where conventional machining can't do the job. Any pocket with sharp inside
corners for instance.
In such cases you may be better off to first machine as much as
practical then EDM ... depending on time & costs.
Cliff
Proctologically Violated©®
2003-11-14 19:42:13 UTC
These guys are going to scare away new posters! I think Harold is
gone!
----------------------------
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll
Gary H. Lucas
Garlicdude
2003-11-14 20:49:28 UTC
Post by Gary H. Lucas
Post by Gary H. Lucas
in two pieces. So the decision on which one to us is often made for you
by
Post by Gary H. Lucas
the part you need to make.
Gary H. Lucas
Gee, I didn't want to scare anyone away. Gary, How do you
know she is a lady engineer?
I looked through a number of posts and didn't see anything
that would give you a clue as to gender.
http://www.pulsareng.com/
Gary H. Lucas
2003-11-14 21:22:31 UTC
Post by Garlicdude
Gee, I didn't want to scare anyone away. Gary, How do you
know she is a lady engineer?
I looked through a number of posts and didn't see anything
that would give you a clue as to gender.
--
Regards,
Steve Saling
aka The Garlic Dude
Gilroy, CA
The Garlic Capital of The World
http://www.pulsareng.com/
A gentleman never tells.

Gary H. Lucas
Bing
2003-11-14 17:36:30 UTC
Post by Candy-o
When do you decide to use the EDM method vs. CNC machining?
In mold shops both wire and conventional EDM are used ALOT.

Also, FYI, they make conventional CNC edm machines as well.

Bing
ff
2003-11-14 19:42:49 UTC
Post by Candy-o
When do you decide to use the EDM method vs. CNC machining?
Candy-O
In a nutshell, EDM is used when the part feature can't be made with
rotating tools
due to square inside corners, hard material, deep narrow slots, etc.

ff
Anthony
2003-11-14 23:31:13 UTC
Post by Candy-o
When do you decide to use the EDM method vs. CNC machining?
Candy-O
Please just laff at the smart-asses..hehe.

To try to answer your question, This really depends on the feature to be
created, the material it is made from, the tolerances required of the
feature and cost/time.

There are many geometric features that simply cannot be produced by
machining. Sharp inside radii, several types of undercut, etc.
--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email
Stanley Dornfeld
2003-11-15 01:32:35 UTC
Hi Candy..

*The BIG picture is use metal cutting tools if they will cut, at all, in
your part. If they will cut then EDM is most costly. Thats the big
picture.

There are a number of isolated exceptions to this rule.

*I have a 304 sst piece which has an involved shape, aprox 1" x 2" long,
which I have EDMed. It is .005" thick. They stack them up a couple of
inches deep and can cut them effectively.

*EDM hardened steels.

*If you have a very involved shape (maybe a heatsink) and you want to
prototype one or two pieces. Wire EDM would be a good choice.

It might be helpful if you could explain what your situation is, so we could
be more focused in our answers.

Best regards,

Stan-