Cutter Compensation question for Lathe
Rick
2006-09-01 15:29:52 UTC
I know the rule for cutter compensation is to simply look in the
direction of the cut and determine which side the cutter is on (Left
G41 or Right G42) but I was in a shop the other day that was running an
older Hardinge CHNC lathe with a Fanuc OT control. It is a flat bed
with the turret on the operator side so X positive is towards the
operator and the spindle is on the left. Cutting on the OD they were
using G42 and Facing they were using G41. This works fine in my mind if
it was a slant bed with the turret above the work pc but in this
configuration it seems backwards no matter how I look at it (from above
or below the machine). It looks like OD cutting should be G41 and
facing and ID boring G42 but that doesn't work on this machine. The
machine does work properly programming G42 for OD cuts and G41 for
facing and ID cuts. Can anyone tell me why? I saw two conflicting
diagrams in the Fanuc OT manual explaining cutter compensation that
conflicted with each other.
Rick
Why
2006-09-01 18:05:46 UTC
Post by Rick
[...]
I have that machine & I never use G41 for facing, G42 for turning.
Turning is Q 3 on the CHNC.

T0303
G00X.725Z.200
Z0.
G99G01X.1F.005 (face to under drilled hole)
G00X.2Z.100 ( Back off for G42)
G01G42X.1Z0.F.040
G01X0.4700F.0050
G01X0.5100Z-0.0200F.0050
G01Z-0.3880
X.725
G00Z.100
G40
Rick
G40
Beege
2006-09-01 18:06:51 UTC
Post by Rick
[...]
Rick,

It looks backwards because with X-plus towards you and Z-plus to the right,
then Y plus (even though you don't have an available Y axis) is towards the
floor. You'd have to stand on your head to visualize it correctly. Note that
G02 and G03 are also reversed...

I was learned that for the most part, G41 means "cutter left", but on the
Hardinge, one has to change that to "part left"

Beege
Rick
Beege
Why
Hardinge says, lay down under the part on the CHNC & look up.
Bill Roberto
2006-09-03 14:17:51 UTC
Post by Rick
[...]
On most lathes regardless of where the turret is your programming window
is half the part in the upper left quadrant. Your G2 and G3 direction as
well as your cutter comp orientation can be visualized from that
perspective. Flat beds, slant beds, and VTL's all think the same way.
Michael Rainey
2006-09-03 17:35:24 UTC
Post by Bill Roberto
Post by Rick
[...]
When I programmed twin-turret flatbed Okumas in the early eighties, G41 and
G42 for both turrets were determined as if you were cutting with the rear
turret - G42 for OD turning, G41 for boring. Circular interpolation G02/G03
the same - the rear turret ruled.
brewertr
2006-09-03 20:04:54 UTC
Michael,

Mori-Seiki and Traub multi turrets are the same way, makes them easer
to program, set up and operate.

That's how I knew Cliff is a fraud with his posted two line sample
G-Code with 5 mistakes in it. There is a reason Cliff has not been able
to post a Make, Model and Year for the CNC Lathe he says his "Standard"
Code will run on.

Tom
Cliff
2006-09-03 21:03:45 UTC
Post by brewertr
Michael,
Mori-Seiki and Traub multi turrets are the same way, makes them easer
to program, set up and operate.
That's how I knew Cliff is a fraud with his posted two line sample
G-Code with 5 mistakes in it.
One typo for your enjoyment <G>.
Post by brewertr
There is a reason Cliff has not been able
to post a Make, Model and Year for the CNC Lathe he says his "Standard"
Code will run on.
But not front turret (& other) lathes <G>.
Others vary as well.
Hence we have posts .... once correctly done ....
Cliff
brewertr
2006-09-04 03:30:37 UTC
Post by Cliff
Post by brewertr
That's how I knew Cliff is a fraud with his posted two line sample
G-Code with 5 mistakes in it.
One typo for your enjoyment <G>.
You are one stubborn fraud. Nice try rewriting history but you made
five mistakes.

Oh, and here is another clue for you, on the OP's machine G03 is
counter clockwise.
Post by Cliff
Post by brewertr
There is a reason Cliff has not been able
to post a Make, Model and Year for the CNC Lathe he says his "Standard"
Code will run on.
But not front turret (& other) lathes <G>.
So what make, model and year will your two lines of code run on?

We know it won't run on the original posters machine so what cnc lathe
were you programming for that it will run on?

Tom
Cliff
2006-09-04 18:59:43 UTC
Post by brewertr
Post by Cliff
Post by brewertr
That's how I knew Cliff is a fraud with his posted two line sample
G-Code with 5 mistakes in it.
One typo for your enjoyment <G>.
You are one stubborn fraud. Nice try rewriting history but you made
five mistakes.
You used only one hand?
Post by brewertr
Oh, and here is another clue for you, on the OP's machine G03 is
counter clockwise.
See original posts to original thread <G>.
Post by brewertr
Post by Cliff
Post by brewertr
There is a reason Cliff has not been able
to post a Make, Model and Year for the CNC Lathe he says his "Standard"
Code will run on.
But not front turret (& other) lathes <G>.
So what make, model and year will your two lines of code run on?
We know it won't run on the original posters machine so what cnc lathe
were you programming for that it will run on?
Which?
Cliff
brewertr

Cliff
jon_banquer
2006-09-04 21:00:46 UTC
"Ju(s)t another of Cliff's normal clueless buzzword king troll tactics,
avoid answering simple direct questions."

What purpose does Cliff serve in this newsgroup?

Jon Banquer
Chula Visa, CA
brewertr
2006-09-04 21:21:13 UTC
Post by jon_banquer
What purpose does Cliff serve in this newsgroup?
Yapping little dog.

Tom
brewertr
2006-09-04 21:35:15 UTC
I've never machined anything so haven't needed to, but I do like dry
humping jb & Gunner. <G>
--
Cliff
See, in Cliffs own words, yipping little dog.

Tom
Cliff
2006-09-05 08:58:40 UTC
Post by brewertr
I've never machined anything so haven't needed to, but I do like dry
humping jb & Gunner. <G>
See, in Cliffs own words, yipping little dog.
Tom
Another sucker falls ....
Cliff
brewertr
2006-09-06 04:44:02 UTC
Cliff,

Wishful thinking, it is so right on I thought you were having a moment
of clarity & honesty.

Tom
Cliff
Cliff
2006-09-06 23:49:51 UTC
Post by brewertr
Wishful thinking
I am guessing just a bit but I suspect that jb is looking for a
new job out your way. They probably know of him everywhere
in the Phoenix area.
Are you or Bill Roberto hiring? Gunner need a helper?

Speaking of Gunner .. there's probably a gang-tooled lathe
in the Phoenix area in bad need of major repairs.
You may need to bring your own lightbulbs though.
Cliff
jon_banquer
2006-09-04 21:46:08 UTC
"Yapping little dog."

How about some anti-freeze?

Would that be better than me hoping he will kill himself with a dull
butter knife?

Jon Banquer
Chula Vista, CA
BottleBob
2006-09-04 22:00:21 UTC
Post by jon_banquer
"Yapping little dog."
How about some anti-freeze?
Jon:

Is the anti-freeze comment a reference to a way to poison dogs? Do
they "like" anti-freeze?
I may be a little sensitive to pet deaths right now since "Ears" my cat
of over 10 years died last weekend.
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob
Steve Mackay
2006-09-05 02:33:14 UTC
Post by BottleBob
Post by jon_banquer
"Yapping little dog."
How about some anti-freeze?
Is the anti-freeze comment a reference to a way to poison dogs? Do
they "like" anti-freeze?
I may be a little sensitive to pet deaths right now since "Ears" my cat
of over 10 years died last weekend.
Sorry to hear about your cat. It's amazing how much them 'lil furry
things affect our lives.
Gunner
2006-09-05 03:10:29 UTC
Post by Steve Mackay
Post by BottleBob
Post by jon_banquer
"Yapping little dog."
How about some anti-freeze?
Is the anti-freeze comment a reference to a way to poison dogs? Do
they "like" anti-freeze?
I may be a little sensitive to pet deaths right now since "Ears" my cat
of over 10 years died last weekend.
Sorry to hear about your cat. It's amazing how much them 'lil furry
things affect our lives.
Need another cat? I run a small cattery/rescue and do volunteer work for
a 503c3 rescue.

How many dozen would you like?

Gunner

"I think this is because of your belief in biological Marxism.
As a genetic communist you feel that noticing behavioural
patterns relating to race would cause a conflict with your belief
in biological Marxism." Big Pete, famous Usenet Racist
brewertr
2006-09-05 03:34:28 UTC
Post by Gunner
Need another cat? I run a small cattery/rescue and do volunteer work for
a 503c3 rescue.
Funny how wrong preconceived ideas can be, before you starting writing
about your shop cat I would never have guessed you for a cat man.

Tom
Gunner
2006-09-05 05:07:31 UTC
Post by brewertr
Post by Gunner
Need another cat? I run a small cattery/rescue and do volunteer work for
a 503c3 rescue.
Funny how wrong preconceived ideas can be, before you starting writing
about your shop cat I would never have guessed you for a cat man.
Tom
Chuckle..Ive got 5 dogs needing homes too.

Cats...tickle my fancy. Independant, if they like you..a sign of good
charector <G>..they like you.

Dogs tend to be needy, will meet you on your terms. You can abuse a
dog..and he will lick your hand. Cats..you abuse them..and they will let
you have a bloody stump back. Strong, independant..they meet you on
their terms.

Dogs think people are gods
Cats think people are staff.

On the other hand...once a cat has learned to love you..they will meet
you on mutual terms. Partners. And its a partnership you have to work
at. Cats can pick an asshole out of a crowd..and either ignore them..or
torment them.

Dogs..no matter how big an asshole you are..will love you until they
die.

Ive looked at many dog/people and many cat/people relationships..and
folks who hate cats..tend to be those that have issues. Cats dont cater
to them, dont give slavish devotion to them..and those folks simply
cannot handle being on a level playing field with "an animal"

Cat people on the other hand..tend to either like cats cause they arent
much of a bother..or enjoy being accepted by someone picky about the
company they keep. <G>

I too tend to be solitary, picky about the company I keep..and dont
lavish slavish devotion on very many people. Shrug...I guess I am in
many ways..cattish..chuckle. Plus I tend to be a solitary hunter, I like
to sleep a lot, and like having my ears scratched

<G>

Gunnerm typing this with two cats asleep in his lap.

Why
2006-09-05 14:19:19 UTC
Post by Gunner
Ive looked at many dog/people and many cat/people relationships..and
folks who hate cats..tend to be those that have issues. Cats dont cater
to them, dont give slavish devotion to them..and those folks simply
cannot handle being on a level playing field with "an animal"
Iv'e never had a cat, not that I don't like them my mother always had
cats.
It's just that a cat or three wouldn't do the job that my Dobermans
do.

When the personal property tax man comes by the shop & sees 2 or 3
Dobermans in the shop he just looks in the window & says OK..
Doesn't bother to come in and look around a lot .
Works good on salesmen also, <G>.
Cliff
2006-09-05 20:45:36 UTC
Post by Why
It's just that a cat or three wouldn't do the job that my Dobermans
do.
Decent ones teach dogs good manners <G>.
Cliff
BottleBob
2006-09-05 08:22:37 UTC
Post by Gunner
Need another cat? I run a small cattery/rescue and do volunteer work for
a 503c3 rescue.
How many dozen would you like?
Gunner:

I appreciate the offer, but I'm not looking for another one at this
time.
Gunner
2006-09-05 08:35:24 UTC
Post by BottleBob
Post by Gunner
Need another cat? I run a small cattery/rescue and do volunteer work for
a 503c3 rescue.
How many dozen would you like?
I appreciate the offer, but I'm not looking for another one at this
time.
You REALLY need to go get another ASAP. You will never replace your
absent friend..but you will be saving the life of another, equally
deserving of your love and your life. Dont let two die. There is nothing
you could do about your friend..but you can save another.

And frankly..a cat person without a cat..is ...incomplete.

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3
BottleBob
2006-09-05 08:20:26 UTC
Post by Steve Mackay
Sorry to hear about your cat. It's amazing how much them 'lil furry
things affect our lives.
Steve:

Thanks for those kind words. It IS surprising how entwined they become
in our lives.
Gunner
2006-09-05 08:35:51 UTC
Post by BottleBob
Post by Steve Mackay
Sorry to hear about your cat. It's amazing how much them 'lil furry
things affect our lives.
Thanks for those kind words. It IS surprising how entwined they become
in our lives.
And between our feet.

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3
F. George McDuffee
2006-09-05 17:35:39 UTC
On Tue, 05 Sep 2006 02:33:14 GMT, Steve Mackay
Post by BottleBob
Is the anti-freeze comment a reference to a way to poison dogs? Do
they "like" anti-freeze?
===============
In case no one else picks up on this.

Regular [green ethylene- glycol-based] antifreeze is sweet and
most animals will lick up any spills, including what slops out in
your driveway when you top-off the radiator or over-flow tank.

As most anamals are quite small, only a bit is required to poison
them. Leads to kidney failure and a most painful death.

see:
http://www.2ndchance.info/antifreeze.htm
http://www.cah.com/dr_library/antifreeze.html
http://www.ehow.com/how_2451_detect-antifreeze-poisoning.html
and a bunch more -- google on <antifreeze pets>

I hope this helps save a pet or two as we head into the fall and
the antifreeze season.

Unka George (George McDuffee)
=============================
When you give power to an executive
you do not know who will be filling
that position when the time of crisis comes.

Ernest Hemingway (1899-1961), U.S. author.
"Notes on the Next War: A Serious Topical Letter,"
in Esquire (New York, Sept. 1935; repr.
in By-Line Ernest Hemingway, ed. by William White, 1967).
Gunner
2006-09-05 19:11:25 UTC
Post by BottleBob
Is the anti-freeze comment a reference to a way to poison dogs? Do
they "like" anti-freeze?
===============
In case no one else picks up on this.
Regular [green ethylene- glycol-based] antifreeze is sweet and
most animals will lick up any spills, including what slops out in
your driveway when you top-off the radiator or over-flow tank.
As most anamals are quite small, only a bit is required to poison
them. Leads to kidney failure and a most painful death.
http://www.2ndchance.info/antifreeze.htm
http://www.cah.com/dr_library/antifreeze.html
http://www.ehow.com/how_2451_detect-antifreeze-poisoning.html
and a bunch more -- google on <antifreeze pets>
I hope this helps save a pet or two as we head into the fall and
the antifreeze season.
Unka George (George McDuffee)
There are a number of non or semi non toxic anti-freezes available on
the market. I ONLY use the non toxics in my vehicles. They cost a couple
dollars more, but its worth it to me, just in peace of mind to know that
one of the critters are not going to die because they were attracted to
the taste of a bit of a spill or overflow. I gave a dog I really liked,
to a fellow after much begging..and within a year she was dead, killed
by his carelessness with anti-freeze. And she died hard, and there was
nothing anyone could do.

"The toxic element in traditional antifreeze is ethylene glycol. The new
kind of antifreeze contains not ethylene glycol, but propylene glycol,
which is somewhat safer. In fact, propylene glycol is found in pet
foods, cosmetics, and over-the-counter preparations.

One brand of this newer type of antifreeze is SIERRA, made by Safe
Brands. A 50/50 mixture of SIERRA and water will protect a carÂ’s engine
to -26F; greater protection can be obtained by increasing the ratio of
antifreeze to water, according to the company.

SIERRA is available nationwide for about a dollar more per gallon than
traditional antifreeze. Many of us feel the price is little to pay if it
eliminates a serious threat to our pets. "

Sierra, ColdChek, Neo, are just a few of the brands available at most
autoparts stores that use propylene glycol and are safer than the old
stuff.

Gunner, who uses Sierra

- Proverbs 22:3
Koz
2006-09-05 20:28:18 UTC
Post by BottleBob
[...]
Brands. A 50/50 mixture of SIERRA and water will protect a cars engine
to -26F; greater protection can be obtained by increasing the ratio of
antifreeze to water, according to the company.
SIERRA is available nationwide for about a dollar more per gallon than
traditional antifreeze. Many of us feel the price is little to pay if it
eliminates a serious threat to our pets. "
Sierra, ColdChek, Neo, are just a few of the brands available at most
autoparts stores that use propylene glycol and are safer than the old
stuff.
Gunner, who uses Sierra
- Proverbs 22:3
Just to add a lil note of interest here...various glycol preperations
are added to a TON of the processed food you eat. They even add em to
McDonalds burgers and fries.

The glycol adds both sweetness and texture and a feeling of moistness.
Personally, I believe it has some addictive properties also..not true
addiction but in a way that you crave both the texture and the nature of
the sweetness. Add this to the high salt content which is also addictive
and you can see why the kids hate your cooking and love Ronald
McDonalds...even when you cook exactly to match except the "extra"
ingredients.

Sounds like "black helicopter stuff" so ask yourself what it is you
crave in fast food.....the stuff is crappy in general but almost all of
us have a (often powerful) craving once in a while for a big mac and fries.

Koz (who puts on the tin foil hat just to please those who think he is
nuts....and notes that he makes 95% of his salary from the suppliers to
the fast food industry so should just keep his mouth shut)
J. Nielsen
2006-09-05 20:26:42 UTC
Post by Gunner
Gunner, who uses Sierra
I thought making your own "anti freeze" was common knowledge out in
the back woods? Eighty proof should do the trick. It's not harmful to
pets - and it could save the party during a dry spell.
-JN-
Gunner
2006-09-05 21:01:20 UTC
Post by J. Nielsen
Post by Gunner
Gunner, who uses Sierra
I thought making your own "anti freeze" was common knowledge out in
the back woods? Eighty proof should do the trick. It's not harmful to
pets - and it could save the party during a dry spell.
That sort of stuff evaporates too quickly..and catches fire really well.

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3
Gary H. Lucas
2006-09-06 01:56:02 UTC
Post by BottleBob
[...]
I saw plenty of Propylene Glycol last winter. Working out in a damn tent on
the runway trying to get an RO system running to capture and recycle
de-icing fluid. We had 2 million gallons to process.

Gary H. Lucas
brewertr
2006-09-05 03:31:15 UTC
BB,

Sorry to hear about your loss.

Tom
BottleBob
2006-09-05 08:21:46 UTC
Post by brewertr
BB,
Sorry to hear about your loss.
Tom:

Thanks for taking the time to say that.
Cliff
2006-09-05 09:01:41 UTC
Post by BottleBob
I may be a little sensitive to pet deaths right now since "Ears" my cat
of over 10 years died last weekend.
Sorry to hear that, BB.
Cliff
BottleBob

Black Dragon
2006-09-06 02:02:36 UTC
Post by BottleBob
I may be a little sensitive to pet deaths right now since "Ears" my cat
of over 10 years died last weekend.
Sorry to hear Bottlebob.

I'm a cat lover myself. Haven't been without at least a couple cats since
my wife and I married in '83.

I feel your pain. :-(
--
Black Dragon

ASS:
The masculine of "lass".
BottleBob
2006-09-06 12:18:49 UTC
Post by Black Dragon
Post by BottleBob
I may be a little sensitive to pet deaths right now since "Ears" my cat
of over 10 years died last weekend.
Sorry to hear Bottlebob.
I'm a cat lover myself. Haven't been without at least a couple cats since
my wife and I married in '83.
I feel your pain. :-(
BD:

I appreciate your kind words. We are often unprepared for how pets can
unconsciously slip into our hearts, even though we may try to resist it.
Rick