Dog Leg or Direct G0?
V8
2003-12-24 04:59:31 UTC
I just had a serious gouge that didn't show up in verficiation. Turns out
the reason was because the machine is old and during a G0 travels at 45
degrees then in X or Y only to get to the programmed point. I suppose I
could make the clearance level above the part or use a feed rate for rapid
but I wonder if other people have this problem?

Do newer machines travel in a straight line, if so about what year did this
become common? I thought all machines did the dog leg thing, I'm going to
take my dinasour for a walk now.

Thanks

V8
Cliff Huprich
2003-12-24 06:13:03 UTC
Post by V8
I just had a serious gouge that didn't show up in verficiation. Turns out
the reason was because the machine is old and during a G0 travels at 45
degrees then in X or Y only to get to the programmed point.
Actually, it probably drives each axis at their maximum rate. When both
(assuming only X & Y are in motion) have the same maximum you get
the initial 45 degree result. Other angles if the maximum rate differs
between the axes involved.
Then the remaining axis continues to position.

No "verification" program will show such events <g>. Not even
http://www.geocities.com/banquercadcam/ ...... unless it's an
extra cost option there ....
Post by V8
I suppose I
could make the clearance level above the part or use a feed rate for rapid
but I wonder if other people have this problem?
Do newer machines travel in a straight line, if so about what year did this
become common? I thought all machines did the dog leg thing, I'm going to
take my dinasour for a walk now.
Change the post to always output rapids as G01 at the maximum feedrate
of the resultant combined axes motion. Then you will have no G00s in
the program but plenty of G01Fxxxs and all such moves should be straight
lines on the machine and "verification" should work better.

You may wish to check how this would effect cycle statements on your
machine first though and perhaps complicate the post a bit more if needed.
HTH
Cliff
Charlie Gary
2003-12-24 18:50:15 UTC
Post by Cliff Huprich
Post by V8
I just had a serious gouge that didn't show up in verficiation. Turns out
the reason was because the machine is old and during a G0 travels at 45
degrees then in X or Y only to get to the programmed point.
Actually, it probably drives each axis at their maximum rate. When both
(assuming only X & Y are in motion) have the same maximum you get
the initial 45 degree result. Other angles if the maximum rate differs
between the axes involved.
Then the remaining axis continues to position.
No "verification" program will show such events <g>. Not even
http://www.geocities.com/banquercadcam/ ...... unless it's an
extra cost option there ....
<<Snip>>

There are many issues to solve before that one gets dealt with.
--
Later,

Charlie

fix the e-mail address and it will get to me
DW
2003-12-25 00:24:39 UTC
Post by Cliff Huprich
Actually, it probably drives each axis at their maximum rate. When both
(assuming only X & Y are in motion) have the same maximum you get
the initial 45 degree result. Other angles if the maximum rate differs
between the axes involved.
Then the remaining axis continues to position.
No "verification" program will show such events <g>. Not even
http://www.geocities.com/banquercadcam/ ...... unless it's an
extra cost option there ....
Maybe not aftermarket "verification" programs, but SmartCAM's "Show Path"
function is configurable (and always has been, IIRC) to show either doglegs
or point-to-point rapid moves.

- DW
John
2003-12-25 00:22:20 UTC
Post by DW
Post by Cliff Huprich
Actually, it probably drives each axis at their maximum rate. When both
(assuming only X & Y are in motion) have the same maximum you get
the initial 45 degree result. Other angles if the maximum rate differs
between the axes involved.
Then the remaining axis continues to position.
No "verification" program will show such events <g>. Not even
http://www.geocities.com/banquercadcam/ ...... unless it's an
extra cost option there ....
Maybe not aftermarket "verification" programs, but SmartCAM's "Show Path"
function is configurable (and always has been, IIRC) to show either doglegs
or point-to-point rapid moves.
- DW
It should be catlegs if your machine takes cat tooling.

John
Cliff Huprich
2003-12-25 10:51:03 UTC
Post by DW
Post by Cliff Huprich
Actually, it probably drives each axis at their maximum rate. When both
(assuming only X & Y are in motion) have the same maximum you get
the initial 45 degree result. Other angles if the maximum rate differs
between the axes involved.
Then the remaining axis continues to position.
No "verification" program will show such events <g>. Not even
http://www.geocities.com/banquercadcam/ ...... unless it's an
extra cost option there ....
Maybe not aftermarket "verification" programs, but SmartCAM's "Show Path"
function is configurable (and always has been, IIRC) to show either doglegs
or point-to-point rapid moves.
And how, exactly, does it know the maximum rapid feedrates of
each axis on all machines? That's a controlling factor in where any
dogleg will travel .....
Cliff
Michael Gailey
2003-12-25 13:17:15 UTC
Post by DW
Maybe not aftermarket "verification" programs, but SmartCAM's "Show Path"
function is configurable (and always has been, IIRC) to show either doglegs
or point-to-point rapid moves.
Yep. Here is proof for the disbelievers.
http://www.microsystemsgeorgia.com/dogleg.htm
Michael
Post by DW
- DW
--
Michael Gailey
Artistic CNC Mill, Router and Engraver Programming
http://www.microsystemsgeorgia.com/toc.htm
Cliff Huprich
2003-12-25 22:37:40 UTC
Post by Michael Gailey
Post by DW
Maybe not aftermarket "verification" programs, but SmartCAM's "Show Path"
function is configurable (and always has been, IIRC) to show either doglegs
or point-to-point rapid moves.
Yep. Here is proof for the disbelievers.
http://www.microsystemsgeorgia.com/dogleg.htm
Clearly, not to be trusted.
Cliff Huprich
Geoff
2003-12-25 23:39:29 UTC
Post by Cliff Huprich
Post by Michael Gailey
Post by DW
Maybe not aftermarket "verification" programs, but SmartCAM's "Show Path"
function is configurable (and always has been, IIRC) to show either doglegs
or point-to-point rapid moves.
Yep. Here is proof for the disbelievers.
http://www.microsystemsgeorgia.com/dogleg.htm
Clearly, not to be trusted.
Only if you don't configure the traverse rates properly. Any post
processor simulation should be TESTED and qualified before it's
trusted. There are other parameters in the Smartcam SMF that must be
configured for it to properly simulate reality.

Simulation is not a substitute for sound coding practices and
part-program prove-out. All program changes should be regression
tested before being accepted as "proven" programs.

As the phrase appeared in another thread: "Sometimes good code goes
bad." This is wrong-headed. Code that "works" is not necessarily
"good" code. Sloppy code can work under the conditions it was
designed for, but bad input can cause previously working code to
malfunction in strange ways. Garbage in, garbage out. (GIGO) is as
old as mathematics, even older than computers. In this day of macros
and Type II and parametric part programs the programmer is responsible
for identifying legal input for his macros. If a program expects
values in a certain range to work properly, the program should *test*
its input variables against those ranges and emit error messages or
choose appropriate default values.

/end rant
Michael Gailey
2003-12-26 00:10:46 UTC
Post by Geoff
Post by Cliff Huprich
Post by Michael Gailey
Post by DW
[...]
geoff,
The amount of success or failure rests in the person programming the
part. Smartcam offered this as an option long ago yet even today we have
an uninformed troll who claims it was never there, he is simply wrong.
The feedrates are adjustable but the movement is allowed or disallowed
as the option states. When the person programming writes the post, the
system "shows the movement that will be made by the cnc." Plain and
simple if you know how to write the post, it probably is impossible for
a troll to do.
Reread the options as several Smartcam experienced folks in here have
already pointed out, this is not impossible, in fact it is a standard
option.
http://www.microsystemsgeorgia.com/dogleg.htm
Beware of the word games being played here, this Troll is trying to
keep baffling folks with half truths like, No "verification" program
will show such events <g>."
I simply posted proof that the statement was incorrect, like several
other people in the newsgroup have also posted but this "word game
player" who posted these incorrect statements has never even seen
Smartcam and I suppose many CAM systems of any other kind.
Where is his website showing even a single part he has ever programmed?
Where does he ever say what CAD or CAM system he uses? This troll is a
complete wanker who plays stupid mindless word games onthis newsgroup.
http://www.microsystemsgeorgia.com/gallery.htm
Nobody with much experience would believe any of his "googled up"
knowledge. If this troll didn't have a search engine he would have
nothing to post. All he does is whine, whine, whine.
Mr Troll, post a link to the parts you have made with the credits
showing that you made it. It won't happen. He has nothing to show.
I find it hard to believe he has run this charade for so long in this
newsgroup. He dislikes me because I know he is a fake, in time, others
will eventually see through this troll.
Michael
Geoff
2003-12-26 00:24:03 UTC
On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 00:10:46 GMT, Michael Gailey
Post by Michael Gailey
Post by Geoff
Post by Cliff Huprich
Post by Michael Gailey
Post by DW
[...]
Yes, he was in my kill file for a time and may end up there again.

I don't disagree with you one bit. Binary or metallic. :)

I take issue with both those who say simulation is untrustworthy and
those who say simulation is sufficient. Simulation is a tool, nothing
more, and has been around for a long time. Something the troll seems
unwilling to acknowledge and appears to have no practical experience
with. I expect he is still coding by hand on a Flexwriter, up hill,
both ways, in the snow.
Michael Gailey
Cliff Huprich
2003-12-26 03:04:24 UTC
Post by Geoff
I take issue with both those who say simulation is untrustworthy and
those who say simulation is sufficient. Simulation is a tool, nothing
more, and has been around for a long time.
Sure thing. But you have to know it's limitations and use it wisely.Better
yet, program in a deterministic manner so that such things as led to this
discussion are not left in doubt.
Post by Geoff
Something the troll seems
unwilling to acknowledge and appears to have no practical experience
with. I expect he is still coding by hand on a Flexwriter, up hill,
both ways, in the snow.
Been there, done that too.
Cliff
Santa Cruz Mike
2003-12-26 02:06:47 UTC
snipped
Post by Michael Gailey
Post by Geoff
[...]
Michael.. In many respects, SmartCam was way ahead of the game in code
generation, etc.. I had an Excello Horizontal a few years ago with Bendix 5m
control, etc The machine ran pretty good. I used it for two production jobs,
running Millabrators 20 up, and building molds. It had one oddity that took a
few days to figure out what was going on. First job I programmed on it. I was
using Cimatron in 3 Axis mode and then chaining the programs together for each
B axis rotation with sub-programs. I normally rapid up to .050 or less to a
surface or plane for drilling, machining etc.. and periodically I would get a
chipped end mill. When I proved out the part at 50% rapid all was fine.. but
when I put the feed up to 100%. Hmm.. chipping end mills.. breaking .058
drills.. etc.. Double checked program, ran verification again.. and then
stood there and watched it run.. What a surprise.. the z axis was over
shooting.. looked like a ruuber band shot and pulled back.. so I made some
calls, went through the manuals.. etc.. made sure the servos were balanced
and the gain was correct,e tc.. found out the rapid for the machine from the
factory was only suppose to be 350 IPM. The second paramater tape was changing
the rapids to 450 IPM. Quite a jump and the control did not have the ability,
mabye servo update time was too slow, or accel deccel was wrong. don't know..
but when I turned the feed knob down to make the rapid read 350IPM.. the
bumping went away... Have to wonder how many problems are more related to
machine tuned up a little and not doing what it is supposed to do.. or
paramaters set that do not agree with the post-processor etc.. It is amazing
how good posts are these days.. and what can be done with them.. On my newer
mill I don't see any unusual or unpredictable moves...

You spend a lot of time argueing with some of these knuckle heads.. Do you
think they get it... LOL

Remember what Paul Sr. (American Chopper) says.. "Get it or your going to get
my size 12 up your ass.." seems to work..

Later,
Mike

"We need to move more jobs overseas
so they can buy our stuff." Walton Family
Michael Gailey
2003-12-26 03:30:41 UTC
Post by Santa Cruz Mike
You spend a lot of time argueing with some of these knuckle heads.. Do you
think they get it... LOL
Not a chance.
Michael
Cliff Huprich
2003-12-26 18:11:54 UTC
Post by Michael Gailey
Post by Santa Cruz Mike
You spend a lot of time argueing with some of these knuckle heads.. Do you
think they get it... LOL
Not a chance.
But we can always hope for Bill & Michael <G>.
Cliff Huprich
Cliff Huprich
2003-12-26 03:04:28 UTC
Post by Michael Gailey
http://www.microsystemsgeorgia.com/dogleg.htm
Beware of the word games being played here, this Troll is trying to
keep baffling folks with half truths like, No "verification" program
will show such events <g>."
Dang !!! Where's the fixture comp pre-set values?

LOL ....
Cliff Huprich
Cliff Huprich
2003-12-26 03:04:33 UTC
Post by Michael Gailey
Smartcam offered this as an option long ago yet even today we have
an uninformed troll who claims it was never there, he is simply wrong.
What an idiot.
Go find any such statement <G>.

I swear, jb's reading comprehension problems are contact-contagious.

PUBLIC SAFETY WARNING TO ALL: Don't let him blow in your ear.

BTW, Just because you make a picture ...... (see etch-a-sketch) ...<G>.
Cliff Huprich
Cliff Huprich
2003-12-26 03:04:27 UTC
Post by Michael Gailey
Where is his website showing even a single part he has ever programmed?
Where does he ever say what CAD or CAM system he uses? This troll is a
complete wanker who plays stupid mindless word games onthis newsgroup.
First, one must know the actual meanings of the words <G>.
Post by Michael Gailey
http://www.microsystemsgeorgia.com/gallery.htm
Get that all fixed yet?
Post by Michael Gailey
Nobody with much experience would believe any of his "googled up"
knowledge. If this troll didn't have a search engine he would have
nothing to post.
LOL .... Got any foorp?
Post by Michael Gailey
All he does is whine, whine, whine.
I like confused know-nothing trolls .....
Post by Michael Gailey
Mr Troll, post a link to the parts you have made with the credits
showing that you made it. It won't happen. He has nothing to show.
Look out your window some day ....
Post by Michael Gailey
I find it hard to believe he has run this charade for so long in this
newsgroup. He dislikes me because I know he is a fake,
Nope. You may yet make a fine replacement for jb.
Post by Michael Gailey
in time, others
will eventually see through this troll.
They are posting to alt.clueless.morons ....
Cliff Huprich
Excitable Boy
I'd be willing to stake twenty-five cents on Vericut, as well ...
Cliff Huprich
2003-12-25 22:37:39 UTC
Post by Excitable Boy
Post by DW
Post by Cliff Huprich
No "verification" program will show such events <g>. Not even
http://www.geocities.com/banquercadcam/ ...... unless it's an
extra cost option there ....
Maybe not aftermarket "verification" programs, but SmartCAM's "Show Path"
function is configurable (and always has been, IIRC) to show either doglegs
or point-to-point rapid moves.
I'd be willing to stake twenty-five cents on Vericut, as well ...
And what clamp is in the way if someone changes an axis
feedrate or rapid parameter?

A *picture* of what someone or some software package thinks
a machine *may* do when the machine (or it's operator) has the
option is not a safe practice <G>.
Cliff
Excitable Boy
2003-12-26 03:18:34 UTC
Post by Cliff Huprich
Post by Excitable Boy
Post by DW
Post by Cliff Huprich
No "verification" program will show such events <g>. Not even
http://www.geocities.com/banquercadcam/ ...... unless it's an
extra cost option there ....
Maybe not aftermarket "verification" programs, but SmartCAM's "Show Path"
function is configurable (and always has been, IIRC) to show either doglegs
or point-to-point rapid moves.
I'd be willing to stake twenty-five cents on Vericut, as well ...
And what clamp is in the way if someone changes an axis
feedrate or rapid parameter?
The clamps stay in the same place as they were before you verified.
Otherwise the whole discussion is stupid. If you change the machine
parameters such that one axis has a different rapid feed than the
others then you might have a problem. However, if you do that then
you'd better go back and change the verification program's settings
as well. Otherwise, changing the rapid rate won't change doodly.

A 45* move at 200 ipm is the same as a 45* move at 400 ipm. It's
a 45* move until it goes straight only because both axes are
running at max. The 45* is an accident but since most rapid rate
parameters are not set with different rates per axis, it isn't
usually a problem. And if you DO change something as integral
to machine operation as that, you'd better have a reason and more
brainpower than I'm seeing in these comments.
Cliff Huprich
2003-12-26 18:11:53 UTC
Post by Excitable Boy
The clamps stay in the same place as they were before you verified.
Otherwise the whole discussion is stupid. If you change the machine
parameters such that one axis has a different rapid feed than the
others then you might have a problem. However, if you do that then
you'd better go back and change the verification program's settings
as well. Otherwise, changing the rapid rate won't change doodly.
A 45* move at 200 ipm is the same as a 45* move at 400 ipm. It's
a 45* move until it goes straight only because both axes are
running at max. The 45* is an accident but since most rapid rate
parameters are not set with different rates per axis, it isn't
usually a problem. And if you DO change something as integral
to machine operation as that, you'd better have a reason and more
brainpower than I'm seeing in these comments.
Better off sticking an extra GOTO point in there that's known, relative to
the part geometry, and safe, than trusting that the machine & operator
will change nothing in the future (and relying on that imagined graphical
dogleg bend point).
THEN it's far more determinate. IF you insist of G00 on a machine
that does not use linear interpolation for rapids.

Think of those fixture offsets, manual tool changes, restarts, ... odd
events ... where is that dogleg coming *from* in reality on the machine?

BTW, The Z axis can be part of the dogleg on 3 axis mills too, not just
X & Y. Then you can get two 3D "kinks" in the tool's path .... and which
overrides are on ?
Cliff
PrecisionMachinisT
2003-12-26 23:52:02 UTC
Post by Cliff Huprich
BTW, The Z axis can be part of the dogleg on 3 axis mills too, not just
X & Y. Then you can get two 3D "kinks" in the tool's path .... and which
overrides are on ?
Matters not if the overrides are active or not, the toolpath is same at 10%
as it is at 100%
SVL
Excitable Boy
2003-12-27 00:18:02 UTC
Post by Cliff Huprich
Better off sticking an extra GOTO point in there that's known, relative to
the part geometry, and safe, than trusting that the machine & operator
will change nothing in the future
Better off not doing anything if you're worried that someone might
change something in the future. Better not even write the program,
someone might change some of the numbers ....
Post by Cliff Huprich
(and relying on that imagined graphical
dogleg bend point).
better make the part by hand .... *I* sure wouldn't trust all those
imagined points in that imaginary electronic control mechanism.
Post by Cliff Huprich
THEN it's far more determinate. IF you insist of G00 on a machine
that does not use linear interpolation for rapids.
maybe we'd better cut the feed rates down to G01 F.002 just to be
safe ... I sure wouldn't want anyone using that nasty G00 ... could
hurt someone or something. In fact, we better not trust any of our
programmers or operators to have any idea of what they're doing.
Maybe send 'em all home. Yhey could get hurt actually running a
machine.
Post by Cliff Huprich
Think of those fixture offsets, manual tool changes, restarts, ... odd
events ... where is that dogleg coming *from* in reality on the machine?
Usually, I'd expect it to come *from* the point where you programmed
the G00 ... but ya know, that's just what I've seen happen in the past.
Who knows about tomorrow ? Maybe the machine will decide to come *from*
somewhere else when I enter a command ?
Post by Cliff Huprich
BTW, The Z axis can be part of the dogleg on 3 axis mills too, not just
X & Y. Then you can get two 3D "kinks" in the tool's path .... and which
overrides are on ?
Right-o .... every machine I've seen has separate feedrate overides
for each axis ... one day I turn down the X, another day I turn down
the Y, Just for fun once I turned down the Z. That way the dogleg can
be different every time. And often I'll re-write the executive software
during lunch so that the machine behaves differently every day. That
way the job becomes much more exciting. I don't usually have anything
else to do while I'm standing there anyway ....
Santa Cruz Mike
2003-12-27 00:26:31 UTC
Date: 12/26/2003 4:18 PM Pacific Standard Time
Post by Cliff Huprich
BTW, The Z axis can be part of the dogleg on 3 axis mills too, not just
X & Y. Then you can get two 3D "kinks" in the tool's path .... and which
overrides are on ?
Right-o .... every machine I've seen has separate feedrate overides
for each axis ... one day I turn down the X, another day I turn down
the Y, Just for fun once I turned down the Z. That way the dogleg can
be different every time. And often I'll re-write the executive software
during lunch so that the machine behaves differently every day. That
way the job becomes much more exciting. I don't usually have anything
else to do while I'm standing there anyway ....
OK.. now you have done it Hamei.. Now we can't trust any machine.. too many
errors. too many factors, too many corections.. I give up.. give me a file and
chisel

Was that you I saw in China News yesterday? Some raid outside Shanghai,
boarding house or something..
Later,
Mike

Mike
http://www.newtechmanufacturing.com

Michael Gailey
2003-12-27 01:57:47 UTC
Post by Santa Cruz Mike
OK.. now you have done it Hamei.. Now we can't trust any machine.. too many
errors. too many factors, too many corections.. I give up.. give me a file and
chisel
I am going to change my BEWARE OF DOG signs to read BEWARE OF DOGLEG.
Then we can live in fear of all this "newfangled" cnc stuff. Maybe we
should check the MSDS for BEWARE OF DOGLEG information too.
Frankly, I have never been intimidated by any cnc as has the
originator of this DOGLEG scare. I suspect a casting slinging out of a
chuck would be much more problematic.
Michael
Excitable Boy
2003-12-27 10:09:22 UTC
Really ? Then you've never run a Gleason.
Cliff Huprich
2003-12-27 19:36:41 UTC
Post by Michael Gailey
I am going to change my BEWARE OF DOG signs to read BEWARE OF DOGLEG.
Then we can live in fear of all this "newfangled" cnc stuff. Maybe we
should check the MSDS for BEWARE OF DOGLEG information too.
Frankly, I have never been intimidated by any cnc as has the
originator of this DOGLEG scare. I suspect a casting slinging out of a
chuck would be much more problematic.
So you advise folks to get rid of their software and "upgrade" to SurfCam?

[
Subject: Dog Leg or Direct G0?
From: "V8" <***@V8.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 20:59:31 -0800

I just had a serious gouge that didn't show up in verficiation. Turns out
the reason was because the machine is old and during a G0 travels at 45
degrees then in X or Y only to get to the programmed point. I suppose I
could make the clearance level above the part or use a feed rate for rapid
but I wonder if other people have this problem?
]

Where's your "advice"? LOL .....
Cliff Huprich
Excitable Boy
2003-12-27 10:16:18 UTC
nope. I'm a good boy. I don't do that kind of stuff.
Cliff Huprich
2003-12-27 19:36:42 UTC
Post by Excitable Boy
Right-o .... every machine I've seen has separate feedrate overides
for each axis ... one day I turn down the X, another day I turn down
the Y, Just for fun once I turned down the Z. That way the dogleg can
be different every time. And often I'll re-write the executive software
during lunch so that the machine behaves differently every day. That
way the job becomes much more exciting. I don't usually have anything
else to do while I'm standing there anyway ....
The repairman just left after fixing the machine .... how many
times have you seen posts here about adjusting parameters
& machine settings that relate to accel/decel & speeds?
Then you have the operators that love to tinker .....
Cliff
Cliff Huprich
2003-12-27 19:36:41 UTC
Post by Cliff Huprich
the part geometry, and safe, than trusting that the machine & operator
will change nothing in the future
Better off not doing anything if you're worried that someone might
change something in the future. Better not even write the program,
someone might change some of the numbers ....
Hamei,
Look at it this way:

Machine A)
Has linear interpolation for rapids. I'm making a move from point A
to point B at the 200 IPM rapid and a line offest by the cutter's radius
from a line between points A & B clears that well known critical feature
on my US$ 10,000 part by .020".

Machine B)
Does dogleg rapids at 200 IPM, The picture on the screen says that
the dogleg rapid will miss the feature (someplace) by .030".

You well know servos systems, steppers, feedack systems and controls.
You also have machine B and I have machine A.

I'm quite happy with my move. You have that picture on the screen and
machine B.
Going to let it rip? Trust it to repeat next year?
Cliff
Excitable Boy
2003-12-28 03:24:11 UTC
Post by Cliff Huprich
Does dogleg rapids at 200 IPM, The picture on the screen says that
the dogleg rapid will miss the feature (someplace) by .030".
Why the fuck would anyone do that ? That scenario reminds
me of an acquaintance who would never buy a car with electric
windows because if you drove it into a lake you couldn't get
out. His name wasn't Ted Kennedy, either.
Dan Petre
2003-12-26 14:26:05 UTC
Post by Excitable Boy
Post by DW
Post by Cliff Huprich
No "verification" program will show such events <g>. Not even
http://www.geocities.com/banquercadcam/ ...... unless it's an
extra cost option there ....
Maybe not aftermarket "verification" programs, but SmartCAM's "Show Path"
function is configurable (and always has been, IIRC) to show either doglegs
or point-to-point rapid moves.
I'd be willing to stake twenty-five cents on Vericut, as well ...
You'd be lucky to see your money.
Anyway, I bet Mr. KnowsItAllMuchBetterThanJB 5 cents MetaCut has the
dog leg feature as an option. It is integrated in MasterCam 9.1 but
you can use it as a stand alone NC verify program.
This thread has been touched by Mr. Troll, you can see by the number
of posts.

Killfile sucks, they keep rising from the dead.

Dan Petre
Paul Elliott
2003-12-27 01:40:50 UTC
Post by Dan Petre
Anyway, I bet Mr. KnowsItAllMuchBetterThanJB 5 cents MetaCut has the
dog leg feature as an option.
----
At the risk of popping my head up like a prarie dog at a .50 caliber
sniper convention, I'll confirm that MCU does indeed allow
interpolated or non-interpolated (dog-leg) motions for rapid motions.
We assume equal acceleration for all axis, and we do take into
consideration what happens for the case where all three axis are
commanded at once, which can be a weird three segment move.

Best regards,

Paul Elliott - Northwood Designs
http://www.MetaCut.com
hoping this doesn't cost me more time than I have. . .
Michael Gailey
2003-12-27 02:03:19 UTC
Post by Paul Elliott
Post by Dan Petre
Anyway, I bet Mr. KnowsItAllMuchBetterThanJB 5 cents MetaCut has the
dog leg feature as an option.
----
At the risk of popping my head up like a prarie dog at a .50 caliber
sniper convention, I'll confirm that MCU does indeed allow
interpolated or non-interpolated (dog-leg) motions for rapid motions.
We assume equal acceleration for all axis, and we do take into
consideration what happens for the case where all three axis are
commanded at once, which can be a weird three segment move.
If you have a loaded handgun you have the capability to shoot yourself
between the eyes, only you are supposed to know better. If you don't
know better, maybe your Mommy would leave the trigger guard in place so
you will be safe next time you play with something you don't know how to
use correctly. :)
Michael
Cliff Huprich
2003-12-27 19:36:40 UTC
Post by Michael Gailey
Post by Paul Elliott
Post by Dan Petre
Anyway, I bet Mr. KnowsItAllMuchBetterThanJB 5 cents MetaCut has the
dog leg feature as an option.
----
At the risk of popping my head up like a prarie dog at a .50 caliber
sniper convention, I'll confirm that MCU does indeed allow
interpolated or non-interpolated (dog-leg) motions for rapid motions.
We assume equal acceleration for all axis, and we do take into
consideration what happens for the case where all three axis are
commanded at once, which can be a weird three segment move.
If you have a loaded handgun you have the capability to shoot yourself
between the eyes, only you are supposed to know better. If you don't
know better, maybe your Mommy would leave the trigger guard in place so
you will be safe next time you play with something you don't know how to
use correctly. :)
Dang, Paul.
He sounds more like jb every day <G>.

BTW, As a practical matter, how close would you trust that dogleg? Within
.050"? Under what conditions? What if jb (or Michael) were doing MDI edits?
Cliff
Geoff
2003-12-24 06:55:06 UTC
Post by V8
I just had a serious gouge that didn't show up in verficiation. Turns out
the reason was because the machine is old and during a G0 travels at 45
degrees then in X or Y only to get to the programmed point. I suppose I
could make the clearance level above the part or use a feed rate for rapid
but I wonder if other people have this problem?
Do newer machines travel in a straight line, if so about what year did this
become common? I thought all machines did the dog leg thing, I'm going to
take my dinasour for a walk now.
Thanks
It depends on the vintage of the controls and the manufacturer. Early
K&T's ran each axis at rapid or the max rate for that axis. This
usually resulted in a dogleg if the distances to be traversed were not
the same or the rapid rates for the two axes were not the same.
Beginning with the Gemini (D) control in 1979 or 1980 the K&T machines
no longer doglegged, but the axis with the furthest to go went at its
max speed and the other axes went at speeds so they all ended
together.

It was probably about 1980 or so when doglegs became unfashionable in
CNC controls.
John
2003-12-24 13:50:05 UTC
Post by Geoff
Post by V8
[...]
The K&T would rapid either with a GOO or G01. The command that made it
rapid was F00. A G00 would rapid all axis at the max feed rate. A G01
would rapid in a straight line distance.

John
Geoff
2003-12-24 17:16:35 UTC
Post by John
Post by Geoff
Post by V8
[...]
This is true, the rapid command on K&T's is F0, but I considered this
irrelevant to the dogleg question. G0/G1 is modal on K&T controls.
John
2003-12-24 23:42:52 UTC
Post by Geoff
Post by John
Post by Geoff
Post by V8
[...]
If you rapid in G0 you get a dogleg if you had different distances to
go.
If you rapid in G01 its point to point direct route . you can take
your choice.
I never use the G00.

John
Geoff
2003-12-25 00:37:29 UTC
Post by John
Post by Geoff
Post by John
Post by Geoff
Post by V8
[...]
On which control?

The Gemini D and Mod D never doglegged in any mode.
All rapids were direct vector. This was regardless of G00/G01 mode in
effect at the time the F0 move was programmed. The slowest axis and
the departure distance determined the speed of all the other axes.
They all started and stopped at the same time.
John
2003-12-25 02:08:15 UTC
Post by Geoff
Post by John
Post by Geoff
Post by John
Post by Geoff
Post by V8
[...]
the C is the one Im familiar with. that would goat leg.

John
Cliff Huprich
2003-12-25 10:51:03 UTC
Post by Geoff
The slowest axis and
the departure distance determined the speed of all the other axes.
They all started and stopped at the same time.
Another option is to use 1/T programming for rapids (can be used
elsewhere too) <G>. (CAUTION: Not supported on all makes & controls.)
Cliff
Cliff Huprich
2003-12-24 09:27:39 UTC
Post by V8
I thought all machines did the dog leg thing, I'm going to
take my dinasour for a walk now.
You did not mention which control & machine ..... possibly in some
cases what it does is a settable option ..... others may know if they
know the control & machine.
Cliff
Santa Cruz Mike
2003-12-24 18:34:32 UTC
Post by Cliff Huprich
Post by V8
I thought all machines did the dog leg thing, I'm going to
take my dinasour for a walk now.
You did not mention which control & machine ..... possibly in some
cases what it does is a settable option ..... others may know if they
know the control & machine.
--
Cliff
There's a couple of thing to consider here:

On some controls, a parameter setting (For G0 or Rapid Movements) determines if
the Z axis positions first and then the XY, or whether they should all rapid at
the same time. Delta 40-50-60 , Fanuc after 11 or so,

In most Cam systems, Smartcam, Cimatron, I know for sure.. the code generator
or post processor can be used to Postion Z, then X &Y.. For me, I always like
the Z to move first in rapid and then the X,Y. But for production maybe that
would be wasteful.

PrecisionMachinisT
2003-12-24 19:00:11 UTC
Post by Santa Cruz Mike
On some controls, a parameter setting (For G0 or Rapid Movements) determines if
the Z axis positions first and then the XY, or whether they should all rapid at
the same time. Delta 40-50-60 , Fanuc after 11 or so,
Some controls are setup so that IF ( on a 3 axis G0 movement ) the z axis
move is in a positive direction, it will occur first, while if it happens to
be in a negative direction, it will occur last.

Pretty sure the Milacron controllers are set up this way by default--at
least in the case of the earlier versions.
SVL
Mitch
2003-12-24 11:20:30 UTC
Post by V8
I just had a serious gouge that didn't show up in verficiation. Turns out
the reason was because the machine is old and during a G0 travels at 45
degrees then in X or Y only to get to the programmed point. I suppose I
could make the clearance level above the part or use a feed rate for rapid
but I wonder if other people have this problem?
Do newer machines travel in a straight line, if so about what year did this
become common? I thought all machines did the dog leg thing, I'm going to
take my dinasour for a walk now.
Thanks
V8
Some controls do, some don't. My older Heidenhain always went in a straight
line (adapting the other axes speed to the max speed of the axis with the
longest travel), my recent Haas doesn't (doglegs - max speed on all axes).

IMO, risky practice to depend on G0 to follow a specific path - it's
essentially *uncontrolled* rapid displacement to get to another point, so
either use a clearance above the part or program rapids within a part as G1
feeds with max feed.
--
Cheers,

--Mitch
Kirk Gordon
2003-12-24 12:35:22 UTC
There have always been some controls that did linear moves with G0,
and some that didn't. But it's only on machines whose axes all rapid at
the same speed that you get 45 degree dog-legs. On a lathe which
programs in diameters, the X axis rapid rate is typically half of the Z
rate. This means 26.5 degree dog-legs. Many machining centers have a
different rate for the Z axis than for X and Y. This means you can get
used to 45 degree dog-legs when doing flat work, and then be
unpleasantly surprised when you do an occasional X-Z or Y-Z rapid move.
("I checked it with my protractor, boss! The tool should have ramped
right over that $2,000 hydraulic clamp cylinder with a half inch to
spare! I don't know WHY it ran right into it!")

One of the biggest "problems" with the dogleg type movement is not
only that it's non-linear; but also that the path from A to B is NOT the
same as from B to A, unless A and B just happen to be in exactly the
right places, which is rare. I've seen some major crashes occur as a
result of this. An operator watches very carefully - finger on the
feed-hold button - as a tool approaches the work, when testing a new or
modified program. The dog-leg move clears the lathe's tailstock, or the
clamp-knobs on a machining center's fixture, or whatever, and then
starts cutting. After that, the operator relaxes a bit, watches things
cut, and lets his guard down, thinking that the rest of the program must
be ok. Then, when the cutting is done, and the machine rapids back to
it's start point - BANG! The return move was a different dog-leg than
the approach, and the operator wasn't expecting it.

As a general rule, I never make rapid moves except when tools are
removed to a clearance plane, where nothing is in the way. Or, if
there's good reason to be inside a restricted area, I make one-axis
moves only, so that I KNOW what the path will always be. What this adds
to cycle time is usually tiny. The only time it really matters is on
big, slow machines; but those are also the kind you really, REALLY don't
want to crash.

Someone else suggested using G1 for all your moves, and just
programming big feedrates. I think that's a real bad idea. First, the
acceleration and deceleration functions on most controls are much
different for positioning than for feeding. G1 generally has a much
shorter, sharper speed ramp than G0. If you routinely move at very high
speeds with G01, on a machine that's not specifically designed for very
high-speed machining, you'll beat the screws and thrust bearings to
death. Also, every time you use a rapid move, you'll need to
re-specifify the cutting feed for the next G01 move in the program.
That means potentially dozens of F numbers for every tool, instead of
just one that typically appears with the first cut, and then stays
effective throughtout a cycle. This is especially troublesome if you do
on-the-floor editing of any kind. The operator has to change a whole
flock of feedrates - and therefore has too many opportunities to make
mistakes or keystroke errors - even if you're just trying to optimize a
program that's already been proofed and made safe.

Many controls built in the last 10 to 15 years have a parameter that
determines whether G0 is linear. Check carefully with your machine and
control manuals, or ask the manufacturer or dealer's service department;
and you may find that the solution to your needs is already in there,
just waiting to be turned on.

Hope this helps!

KG
--
I'm sick of spam.
The 2 in my address doesn't belong there.
V8
Excitable Boy
2003-12-24 14:23:28 UTC
Post by V8
Do newer machines travel in a straight line, if so about what year did this
become common? I thought all machines did the dog leg thing, I'm going to
take my dinasour for a walk now.
1978 Bendix 5 controls do straight line (interpolated)
rapid moves - or at least they do on American Tool lathes.
Other controls didn't .. kind of a per-controller thingy.
Garlicdude
2003-12-24 14:58:48 UTC
Post by Excitable Boy
Post by V8
Do newer machines travel in a straight line, if so about what year did this
become common? I thought all machines did the dog leg thing, I'm going to
take my dinasour for a walk now.
1978 Bendix 5 controls do straight line (interpolated)
rapid moves - or at least they do on American Tool lathes.
Other controls didn't .. kind of a per-controller thingy.
Bendix/Dynapath System 10's also do straight line rapids.
--
Regards,
Steve Saling
http://www.pulsareng.com/
Neal
2003-12-24 15:23:58 UTC
Post by V8
I just had a serious gouge that didn't show up in verficiation. Turns out
the reason was because the machine is old and during a G0 travels at 45
degrees then in X or Y only to get to the programmed point. I suppose I
could make the clearance level above the part or use a feed rate for rapid
but I wonder if other people have this problem?
Do newer machines travel in a straight line, if so about what year did this
become common? I thought all machines did the dog leg thing, I'm going to
take my dinasour for a walk now.
Thanks
V8
V8--
The simple answer to what is going on is that the G0 moves are not
interpolated and the G1, G2, and G3 moves are.
An interpolated move is one where the control looks at the
destination of the move in all axes commanded and then determines how
fast each axis should move to have all axes arrive at the corrdinates
command at the same time.
A non-interpolated move sends each axis to its individual
coordinate at the full commanded feed rate. Therefore the shortest
command will get there first and have to wait for the other axis to
complete its move.
Some controls have all moves interpolated and others have only
the FEED moves interpolated. I hope this clears things up for you.

Neal.
Cliff Huprich
2003-12-24 17:02:09 UTC
Post by Kirk Gordon
Someone else suggested using G1 for all your moves, and just
programming big feedrates.
Actually, fairly standard practice just for such cases.
Post by Kirk Gordon
I think that's a real bad idea. First, the
acceleration and deceleration functions on most controls are much
different for positioning than for feeding. G1 generally has a much
shorter, sharper speed ramp than G0. If you routinely move at very high
speeds with G01, on a machine that's not specifically designed for very
high-speed machining, you'll beat the screws and thrust bearings to
death.
I doubt that the accel/decell maxes are any greater than for cutting. The
time to get to speed may be greater.

Also, in cutting, you have the added loads of the cut .... which may well
contain impact loads .... not a normal thing in rapids unless jb's been
(claimed) messing with the program again ....

A properly designed machine should have no problems ... I doubt that many
use slower in getting to rapid in any case. IF the machine cannot use the
feedrate it should error out <g>.

Some machines MAY have higher rapids than max feedrates though ....
Post by Kirk Gordon
Also, every time you use a rapid move, you'll need to
re-specifify the cutting feed for the next G01 move in the program.
This is for the post to do, in general. It remains modal after it's
changed (in most current word-address controls).
Post by Kirk Gordon
That means potentially dozens of F numbers for every tool, instead of
just one that typically appears with the first cut, and then stays
effective throughtout a cycle.
Nope. Just the one added when the G00 is replaced.
Post by Kirk Gordon
This is especially troublesome if you do
on-the-floor editing of any kind.
Not really. Your rapid moves are still one block at a time, be they G00 or
G01 Fxxxx.
Post by Kirk Gordon
The operator has to change a whole
flock of feedrates -
Where?
Post by Kirk Gordon
and therefore has too many opportunities to make
mistakes or keystroke errors - even if you're just trying to optimize a
program that's already been proofed and made safe.
Better to revise (if needed) at the CAM system anyway .... fewer
unseen typos ... and the programmer gets another chance to become
a better programmer <G>.
Cliff
Cliff Huprich
2003-12-24 18:30:00 UTC
Post by Kirk Gordon
I think that's a real bad idea. First, the
acceleration and deceleration functions on most controls are much
different for positioning than for feeding. G1 generally has a much
shorter, sharper speed ramp than G0. If you routinely move at very high
speeds with G01, on a machine that's not specifically designed for very
high-speed machining, you'll beat the screws and thrust bearings to
death.
I doubt that the accel/decell maxes are any greater than for cutting. The
time to get to speed may be greater.
Kirk,
As an added thought ...
IF the machine makes a dogleg using G00 to begin with then both involved
axes are being ramped to maximum. Using G01 Fxxx would, in such cases,
limit the maximum speed of one axis to a lower speed .... thus, if the theory
has merit, actually reducing average wear & tear.

My money is still on other factors decreasing the machine's lifespan
faster though <G>.
Cliff
Kirk Gordon
2003-12-24 18:54:08 UTC
You're wrong, wronger, and wrongest, Cliff. Where do you get these
ideas? I design and build CNC machine tools for a living. It's a part
of my full time occupation to do things like figure out the response
times and tracking error tolerances for feed moves, and the masses,
moments of inertia, screw and bearing loads, and servo performance
parameters for max rapid rates. I also need to know max speeds and
accel/decel factors affect things like the distance from soft limits to
hard limits to "oops it coasted too far and broke the bearing bracket
limits", which can be sorta important if you like happy customers.

I decide which kinds of motion need linear acceleration
characteristics, and which should be exponential, and how to set the
DIFFERENT parameters that go with rapid and feed moves, precisely for
the purpose of making the machine go as quick as possible without
beating itself to death.

And your question about how/why there'd be too many feedrates to edit
tells me that you haven't actually done what you're suggesting to the
person who asked the original question. Consider the following
EXTREMELY simple program to face and rough turn something on a lathe:

G96 S350 M3
G0 X1.7 Z0
G1 X-.0625 F.015
G0 X1.5 Z.1
G1 Z-2.0
X 1.7
G0 X5.0 Z5.0 M5
M30

There is exactly ONE F number in that whole program, and the chip
load for all the cutting can be altered by editing a single value that
appears right at the top of the operation. Now look at it again with
YOUR suggestion, and with rapid rates at, say, 300 IPM:

G96 S350 M3
G95 G1 X1.7 Z0 F300.0
G94 X-.0625 F.015
G95 X1.5 Z.1 F300.0
G94 Z-2.0 F.015
X1.7
G95 X5.0 Z5.0 M5
M30

This time, there are four times as many F numbers, and some of them
are down in the guts of the program, not up at the top where they're
easy to see and find. Also, some of the feedrates in this program would
rip the chuck right off the machine if you happened to put them in the
wrong place, or forget to switch back and forth from IPM feedrates to
IPR feedrates.

I'm assuming, incidentally, that the machine in question actually
HAS the capacity use G94/G95. Not all do. If you attempted to use IPR
throughout the program, then the G1 rapid moves would be a nightmare.
You'd either have to set a constant RPM and calculate some chip load
that would give you the motion speed you wanted, or you'd have to deal
with the servos moving slowly at large diameters, and attempting IMMENSE
speeds when the tool got close to center.

This wouldn't be as much of a problem on a machining center, where
most feedrates are in IPM anyway; but machining center programs are
generally MUCH more complex than the silly little thing shown above, and
there's be feedrates in practically every other line! Jesus!

Also, just in case you're actually bothering to read this, there
ISN'T any way that your suggestion can solve problems with dog-leg
motion when you're using something like a drilling or tapping cycle on a
machining center. Those are pre-programmed into the guts of the
machine, and WILL do all the XY moves in rapid traverse dog-leg fashion,
whther you get cute with the other parts of the program or not.

So, the right way to answer the original question is to learn sound
procedures, or proper parameter settings, so that G0 is a real and
useful part of the programms.

<grumble>

KG
a better programmer <G>.
Garlicdude
2003-12-24 19:07:12 UTC
Post by Kirk Gordon
You're wrong, wronger, and wrongest, Cliff. Where do you get these
ideas? I design and build CNC machine tools for a living. It's a part
of my full time occupation to do things like figure out the response
times and tracking error tolerances for feed moves, and the masses,
moments of inertia, screw and bearing loads, and servo performance
parameters for max rapid rates. I also need to know max speeds and
accel/decel factors affect things like the distance from soft limits to
hard limits to "oops it coasted too far and broke the bearing bracket
limits", which can be sorta important if you like happy customers.
Snipped
Post by Kirk Gordon
Also, just in case you're actually bothering to read this, there
ISN'T any way that your suggestion can solve problems with dog-leg
motion when you're using something like a drilling or tapping cycle on a
machining center. Those are pre-programmed into the guts of the
machine, and WILL do all the XY moves in rapid traverse dog-leg fashion,
whther you get cute with the other parts of the program or not.
So, the right way to answer the original question is to learn sound
procedures, or proper parameter settings, so that G0 is a real and
useful part of the programms.
<grumble>
KG
--
Kirk, How dare you accuse Cliff of not knowing about which
he speaks! Just because you do this CURRENTLY for a living,

This ought to be a fun post to watch, Cliff will probably be
arguing this until the New Year. Stay tuned.
http://www.pulsareng.com/
Cliff Huprich
2003-12-24 19:23:59 UTC
Post by Garlicdude
Kirk, How dare you accuse Cliff of not knowing about which
he speaks! Just because you do this CURRENTLY for a living,
what do you know?
Yep. And then we'll ask about those machines that can switch modes
of operation based on a parameter change <G>.

Perhaps some of the other machine builders will chime in too <G>.

Personally, I'd worry about machine designs that tear themselves
apart when running programs that the control will accept without
error .....

From the recent thread(s) with BottleBob on bearings, as long
as no impact loads exceed the static loads of the bearing surfaces
all should be well for the rated life of the bearing surfaces .....
(Was it a 5% accepted failure rate before the rated life? Something
like that ... but not in the thread ...)

Who knows what will be learned?
Cliff
Santa Cruz Mike
2003-12-24 19:35:42 UTC
snipped
Post by Kirk Gordon
So, the right way to answer the original question is to learn sound
procedures, or proper parameter settings, so that G0 is a real and
useful part of the programms.
<grumble>
KG
KG.. you bring up a very good point.. Cimatron has a feature that allows you
to change rapid movements to a high Feed rate instead of a rapid movemennt..
and you really have to watch that becasuse the accel and decel are different at
least on the Dyna 50 and Bendix 5 and Fancu 11. Boy can it make a machine
bounce hard at 100-150IPM in small moves.. I ended up switching back to plain
G0 rapids.. maby on newer and nicer machines it isn't so bad..

Michael Gailey
2003-12-24 22:06:39 UTC
Post by Santa Cruz Mike
snipped
Post by Kirk Gordon
So, the right way to answer the original question is to learn sound
procedures, or proper parameter settings, so that G0 is a real and
useful part of the programms.
<grumble>
KG
KG.. you bring up a very good point.. Cimatron has a feature that allows you
to change rapid movements to a high Feed rate instead of a rapid movemennt..
and you really have to watch that becasuse the accel and decel are different at
least on the Dyna 50 and Bendix 5 and Fancu 11. Boy can it make a machine
bounce hard at 100-150IPM in small moves.. I ended up switching back to plain
G0 rapids.. maby on newer and nicer machines it isn't so bad..
On programs that are banging the machine really hard turning the Rapid
Override is a handy option.
Michael
Michael Gailey
2003-12-24 22:04:18 UTC
Post by Kirk Gordon
You're wrong, wronger, and wrongest, Cliff. Where do you get these
ideas?
So, the right way to answer the original question is to learn sound
procedures, or proper parameter settings, so that G0 is a real and
useful part of the programms.
<grumble>
KG
On (modern era) systems running a rapid at F3000.00 can get sticky
without a Z retract, you don't even have to see it happen, hearing it
will be enough. <g> People in adjacent buildings will come running to
see what happened.
Michael
Cliff Huprich
2003-12-25 10:51:04 UTC
Post by Michael Gailey
On (modern era) systems running a rapid at F3000.00 can get sticky
without a Z retract, you don't even have to see it happen, hearing it
will be enough. <g> People in adjacent buildings will come running to
see what happened.
Don't let idiots do MDI edits <G>.
Cliff Huprich
Cliff Huprich
2003-12-24 19:13:06 UTC
Post by Kirk Gordon
You're wrong, wronger, and wrongest, Cliff. Where do you get these
ideas?
Years of real world shop programming?
Post by Kirk Gordon
I design and build CNC machine tools for a living. It's a part
of my full time occupation to do things like figure out the response
times and tracking error tolerances for feed moves, and the masses,
moments of inertia, screw and bearing loads, and servo performance
parameters for max rapid rates. I also need to know max speeds and
accel/decel factors affect things like the distance from soft limits to
hard limits to "oops it coasted too far and broke the bearing bracket
limits", which can be sorta important if you like happy customers.
I decide which kinds of motion need linear acceleration
characteristics, and which should be exponential, and how to set the
DIFFERENT parameters that go with rapid and feed moves, precisely for
the purpose of making the machine go as quick as possible without
beating itself to death.
And you would beat them to death with G01 Fxxxx?
Post by Kirk Gordon
And your question about how/why there'd be too many feedrates to edit
tells me that you haven't actually done what you're suggesting to the
person who asked the original question.
Do they have a mill or a lathe or a .....? And YOU are thinking ONLY of
MDI programming, ala jb.
Post by Kirk Gordon
Consider the following
G96 S350 M3
G0 X1.7 Z0
G1 X-.0625 F.015
G0 X1.5 Z.1
G1 Z-2.0
X 1.7
G0 X5.0 Z5.0 M5
M30
There is exactly ONE F number in that whole program, and the chip
load for all the cutting can be altered by editing a single value that
appears right at the top of the operation. Now look at it again with
G96 S350 M3
G95 G1 X1.7 Z0 F300.0
G94 X-.0625 F.015
G95 X1.5 Z.1 F300.0
G94 Z-2.0 F.015
X1.7
G95 X5.0 Z5.0 M5
M30
You have a lot of such dogleg issues with your lathes?

"I make one-axis moves only, so that I KNOW what the path will always be."
That's adding WHOLE BLOCKS !!!! Don't forget your block numbers ....
Post by Kirk Gordon
This time, there are four times as many F numbers, and some of them
are down in the guts of the program, not up at the top where they're
easy to see and find. Also, some of the feedrates in this program would
rip the chuck right off the machine if you happened to put them in the
wrong place, or forget to switch back and forth from IPM feedrates to
IPR feedrates.
We covered something similar with hamei some weeks back <g>.
Post by Kirk Gordon
I'm assuming, incidentally, that the machine in question actually
HAS the capacity use G94/G95. Not all do. If you attempted to use IPR
throughout the program, then the G1 rapid moves would be a nightmare.
You'd either have to set a constant RPM and calculate some chip load
that would give you the motion speed you wanted, or you'd have to deal
with the servos moving slowly at large diameters, and attempting IMMENSE
speeds when the tool got close to center.
Postprocessor functions ...
Post by Kirk Gordon
This wouldn't be as much of a problem on a machining center, where
most feedrates are in IPM anyway; but machining center programs are
generally MUCH more complex than the silly little thing shown above, and
there's be feedrates in practically every other line! Jesus!
Never done much CAD/CAM programming?
Post by Kirk Gordon
Also, just in case you're actually bothering to read this, there
ISN'T any way that your suggestion can solve problems with dog-leg
motion when you're using something like a drilling or tapping cycle on a
machining center.
I added a comment (see original post) about exactly that. It can be
solved.
Post by Kirk Gordon
Those are pre-programmed into the guts of the
machine, and WILL do all the XY moves in rapid traverse dog-leg fashion,
whther you get cute with the other parts of the program or not.
Depends ....
Post by Kirk Gordon
So, the right way to answer the original question is to learn sound
procedures, or proper parameter settings, so that G0 is a real and
useful part of the programms.
<grumble>
Good programming practices always matter .... in part because you
don't always know what machine xyz you have never seen before will
actually do today ...
Knowing machine xyz allows you to write or configure a good post for it.
Cliff
Kirk Gordon
2003-12-25 01:17:33 UTC
Post by Cliff Huprich
Post by Kirk Gordon
You're wrong, wronger, and wrongest, Cliff. Where do you get these
ideas?
Years of real world shop programming?
On what world, exactly?
Post by Cliff Huprich
Post by Kirk Gordon
I decide which kinds of motion need linear acceleration
characteristics, and which should be exponential, and how to set
the DIFFERENT parameters that go with rapid and feed moves,
precisely for the purpose of making the machine go as quick as
possible without beating itself to death.
And you would beat them to death with G01 Fxxxx?
Here's the facts and details. You can think what you like.

The grinder model that I build most often will rapid (G0) at 600IPM,
or 10 inches per second. It typically has a linear accel/decel profile,
with a time constant set at 150ms. To get from sitting still to 10 IPS
in just .15 seconds means an acceleration of 10/.15, or 66.6667 inches
per second per second.

This same machine has a maximum useful cutting feedrate between 20
and 30 IPM. That has nothing to do with the machine design, really.
It's just what grinding wheels and typical materials need in order to
work best. The machine needs to be extremely accurate, and to make VERY
smooth and neat transitions from one cutting move to the next. I set
the maximum G1 cutting rate at 80 IPM, and use linear accel/decel mode
with a time constant of 20ms. 80 IPM is 1.3333 inches per second, so to
get to that speed from a standstill in .02 seconds means an acceleration
of 1.333/.02, or 66.6667 inches per second per second.

Neat how they both work out the same, huh? That makes it real easy
to choose the right size ballscrews and servo motors.

If I were to attempt a rapid move with G1 (assuming I set the max
allowed feedrate at something fairly quick), then the G1 accel/decel
type and time constant would be applied to whatever feedrate was
programmed. Let's say, just to be conservative, that I choose only half
of the normal rapid rate, and program G1 F300.0. 300 IPM is 5 inches
per second. To get to that speed in just .02 seconds would mean an
acceleration of 250 inches per second per second - nearly four times
more than a G0 move would require, even though the machine is only
moving half as fast. That means four times as much force on the
ballscrew, and the thrust bearing, and the brackets and fasteners that
support those things. It also means four times more strength required
in the places where all the moving stuff is mounted, and where the
rigidity of the machine is realized.

Of course, I COULD set a softer accel/decel for the feed moves, but
then there's that little problem of grinding workpieces properly, and of
getting the smooth and precise transitions I want between moves. My
customers, for some reason, seem to think that those things are important.

Under the circumstances described above, even with the G1 "rapid"
moves going just half as fast as real rapid moves, some serious,
precise, and expensive parts of the machine would need to be AT LEAST
four times stronger than with G0 rapids.

With regard to whether the machine would beat itself to death,
consider this: I normally plan a safety margin of about 100% into the
kind of mechanical things we're talking about here. If you used G1 for
300 IPM rapid moves, you'd eat up all of that safety margin, and STILL
be creating DOUBLE the worst case forces that critical machine
components have been designed for. And if you tried to use ALL of the
600 IPM rapid speed, so your cycles didn't slow down, then you'd exceed
the machine's maximum, worst case design parameters by a factor of 300%.

Yes, I could build the machine to withstand that. All I'd need would
be bigger ballscrews, and bigger thrust bearings, and bigger, heavier
mountings for both, and bigger castings and bases to accomodate the
other oversize stuff. Then I'd need bigger servo motors to deliver the
bigger accelerations, and bigger drives to run the bigger servos. And,
since everyting about the mechanical part of the machine has gotten
bigger and heavier, the new motors will need to be MORE than 4 times as
powerful as the old ones. Maybe 5 or 6 times, before I'm finished with
all the new engineering, and finished adding new safety margins.

And when all that's done, I'll only have to charge another $10,000 or
$20,000 for my machines, and everybody will be happy.

Or, just in case my customers have something better to do with $10 or
$20 thousand dollars of their money, I can leave the design like it is,
and use rapid moves for rapid, and feed moves for cutting, and promote
the idea that foolish, short-sighted, half-assed programming techniques
are not a good idea.
Post by Cliff Huprich
Post by Kirk Gordon
And your question about how/why there'd be too many feedrates to
edit tells me that you haven't actually done what you're suggesting
to the person who asked the original question.
Do they have a mill or a lathe or a .....? And YOU are thinking ONLY
of MDI programming, ala jb.
The problems, and the most basic of sound procedures, apply to any
machine, and to any programming method.
Post by Cliff Huprich
You have a lot of such dogleg issues with your lathes?
Everybody does. It's called "programming". You move around the
tailstock, and you watch out for chuck jaws, and you try not to drag a
grooving tool sideways through the work at rapid speeds on your way out
of a groove, and little stuff like that. Machining centers are even
more interesting. There's more axes to move, and more stuff to watch
out for, and a wider range of tool types with different lengths and
diameters, and... You really ought to try this stuff, Cliff. It's
loads of fun.
Post by Cliff Huprich
Post by Kirk Gordon
I'm assuming, incidentally, that the machine in question actually
HAS the capacity use G94/G95. Not all do. If you attempted to use
IPR throughout the program, then the G1 rapid moves would be a
nightmare. You'd either have to set a constant RPM and calculate
some chip load that would give you the motion speed you wanted, or
you'd have to deal with the servos moving slowly at large
diameters, and attempting IMMENSE speeds when the tool got close to
center.
Postprocessor functions ...
I don't care if you use a post processor, a food processor, or just a
wild guess. Constant surface speed control is an IMPORTANT feature on
almost any lathe. If you have to program constant revs, then you're
limiting your machine in some serious ways that affect efficiency, tool
life, workpiece finish and quality, and more. Or, if you happen to have
G94/G95 functions available, then you're going to have programs that are
harder to read when they appear on the operator's screen in the shop.
And they'll be harder to proof, and harder to optimize, and harder to
maintain. And that makes no sense!

And, when you suggest that a postprocessor is the answer to the
questions involved here, you confess some VERY strange ideas about good
shop practice. You don't seem to mind that EVERY rapid line in a whole
program, and EVERY cutting line in a whole program, would need to have a
feedrate specified, and re-specified, in order to keep switching back
and forth from G1 cutting moves to G1 rapid moves. And you seem to
think that editing such a program is for the CAM system to worry about,
and not an issue for actual human beings. That's nonsense.

Think about this little example. The programmer uses the CAM system
to spit out, say, a couple hundred lines of code for the VMC. The
operator sets it up, proofs the program, cuts the first part, and then
takes it to the inspection room to get it blessed. Then, all that
remains is a little bit of tweaking with speeds and feeds, just to get
the finishes right, and to make the tools last a long time, and to cut a
little fat out of the cycle time. If you do things my way, that
probably means shop-floor, MDI editing of a single feedrate at the top
of each tool's operation. If we do things your way, it means many, MANY
lines of code that have F numbers in them, that all have to be changed -
without mistakes - just to optimize a single tool's operation. Should
we REALLY take this back to the programming room, and have them send us
a whole new piece of code? Or would it make more sense for operators to
get it all dialed in just once, easily and quickly, and then send the
optimized stuff back to the programmers for storage and future use?

And what if it takes a couple tries to get things right? What if the
operator wants to experiment with the feedrates, before he settles in to
let things run production? Does the whole thing get reprogrammed every
single time? Not in my shop it doesn't.

Of course, we're talking about a program that's already fit to run,
and that's been proofed and found to be free of serious problems. But
how did we get to that point? Well, we loaded up the program, and set
all the offsets, and then carefully stepped through the program with the
rapid over-ride switch turned down to... Oh. Waitaminute. The rapid
over-ride only works on G0 moves; and we aren't using those. And the
feedrate over-ride dial now controls everything, so we'll be cranking
that way to the left for every "rapid" move we want to watch carefully,
and then cranking it back where it belongs when it's time to cut
something, and then hoping we can actually tell the difference between
what's supposed to be fast and what's supposed to be slow, when we're
manually juggling every move in the whole damned program. You don't
like MDI editing, Cliff? Then you're really gonna HATE full manual
feedrate control, every time somebody tries to proof a brand new
program. And it'll be especially fun when somebody loses his rhythm and
cranks the dial the wrong way at just the wrong time.
Post by Cliff Huprich
Post by Kirk Gordon
This wouldn't be as much of a problem on a machining center, where
most feedrates are in IPM anyway; but machining center programs are
generally MUCH more complex than the silly little thing shown
above, and there's be feedrates in practically every other line!
Jesus!
Never done much CAD/CAM programming?
The front-end software on my grinders IS a CAM system. I wrote it.
I've used other, standard systems; but I don't claim to be an expert
with any of those. The issue here isn't where the programs come from;
but what they look like, and how they act, when you load them into a
real machine tool.
Post by Cliff Huprich
Post by Kirk Gordon
So, the right way to answer the original question is to learn sound
procedures, or proper parameter settings, so that G0 is a real and
useful part of the programms.
Good programming practices always matter .... in part because you
don't always know what machine xyz you have never seen before will
actually do today ... Knowing machine xyz allows you to write or
configure a good post for it.
If your main concern is to configure a post, rather than to use good
all-around methods, and to put good programs in your machines and make
good parts, then you're already pointed in exactly the wrong direction;
and I wouldn't let you in my shop even to sweep the floors.

KG
Bill Roberto
No one else will either. That is why he is in here 24/7.
Cliff Huprich
2003-12-25 22:56:56 UTC
Post by Bill Roberto
No one else will either. That is why he is in here 24/7.
Hey, Bill ... where's Michael's dogleg going to be if someone
is messing with the rapid/feed overides?

LOL ....
Cliff
Bill Roberto
2003-12-26 02:10:06 UTC
Post by Cliff Huprich
Post by Bill Roberto
No one else will either. That is why he is in here 24/7.
Hey, Bill ... where's Michael's dogleg going to be if someone
is messing with the rapid/feed overides?
LOL ....
--
Cliff
As usual Cliff I have no idea what your argument is or what point you are
trying to prove or disprove. I would never program all G1's but I am
thoroughly familiar with every machine I program and I don't have a problem
with G0's. You have to be a world class troll to piss off Kirk G. What is
your argument again?
Santa Cruz Mike
2003-12-26 02:32:48 UTC
Post by Bill Roberto
As usual Cliff I have no idea what your argument is or what point you are
trying to prove or disprove. I would never program all G1's but I am
thoroughly familiar with every machine I program and I don't have a problem
with G0's. You have to be a world class troll to piss off Kirk G. What is
your argument again?
Bill.. what happend to the newsgroup.?. I leave for a few years.. and..

Bill Roberto
2003-12-26 03:12:23 UTC
Post by Santa Cruz Mike
Post by Bill Roberto
As usual Cliff I have no idea what your argument is or what point you are
trying to prove or disprove. I would never program all G1's but I am
thoroughly familiar with every machine I program and I don't have a problem
with G0's. You have to be a world class troll to piss off Kirk G. What is
your argument again?
Bill.. what happend to the newsgroup.?. I leave for a few years.. and..
A guy named Cliff came along and started answering each and every post. He
argues with everyone. Every one that is anyone has gone a few rounds with
him and Cliff has them walking away shaking their heads mumbling to
themselves. He is under the illusion he knows everything there is to know
about all subjects. Frequently he argues outside of his experience zone and
when confronted will never ever admit to being wrong. Go ahead and try him.
Pick a subject you know about and post a statement. Within minutes Cliff
will challenge you to an argument. He will not let you have the last post.
After a few hundred posts back and forth you will forget your point and you
won't know what his point is. All you will know is that you wasted way too
much time in the newsgroup again. He also has this thing for JB.
Frightening. Anyway Mike this is what our newsgroup has become. What are you
going to do?
Santa Cruz Mike
2003-12-26 04:08:39 UTC
Post by Bill Roberto
Frightening. Anyway Mike this is what our newsgroup has become. What are you
going to do?
I going to take Ruby for a walk on the beach..

Later,
Mike
Cliff Huprich
2003-12-27 19:36:38 UTC
Post by Santa Cruz Mike
I going to take Ruby for a walk on the beach..
Actually, jb found a few BBS based Websites and started
a heavy promotion of them. He also started posting to
them and had warnings issued, posts & threads deleted,
met a lot of people that thought he was clueless right off
the bat, has a lot of unanswered questions to respond to in
places <G>. Pointed questions .....

I suppose his one-person campaign to get NG users to move
may have had some effect ... no jb <G>.
Cliff
Michael Gailey
2003-12-27 20:14:50 UTC
Post by V8
Post by Santa Cruz Mike
Post by Bill Roberto
[...]
Bill,
As I have indicated elewhere on several occasions, "Clifford the Big
Red Dog" never relates to anything from personal experience, just word
games and Google Search results. The most ironic thing about his posts
are that he is worse than jb ever was and does the exact things he
criticizes jb for doing. I suppose Clifford has now gone full circle,
maybe that is why he has such a sexual obsession (hardon) for jb,
because jb did the same thing but did it before Clifford did it.
In that case jb is a pioneer and "Clifford the Big Red Dog" is just a
jb poser.*

*JB also did it better because jon clearly has more passion about cnc.
Michael

Tom Dailey
2003-12-27 23:58:31 UTC
The most ironic thing about his (Cliff's) posts are that he is worse than
jb ever was and does the exact things he criticizes jb for doing.<

If you don't like the way Cliff treats Jon, then why do you treat Cliff in
the same way? You talk about how Cliff doesn't know anything, but you never
answered his "linear" post, even when Bing said you were wrong. Neither you
or Cliff can admit when you are wrong.
Michael Gailey
2003-12-28 00:39:40 UTC
Post by Tom Dailey
The most ironic thing about his (Cliff's) posts are that he is worse than
jb ever was and does the exact things he criticizes jb for doing.<
If you don't like the way Cliff treats Jon, then why do you treat Cliff in
the same way? You talk about how Cliff doesn't know anything, but you never
answered his "linear" post, even when Bing said you were wrong. Neither you
or Cliff can admit when you are wrong.
Well Cliff 'er uh I mean Tom,
The linear issue was not asked by me, it had nothing to do with my
question. About the shrink question that I asked, I was asking him to
apply shrink to a 3D shape, the only way simple linear shrink would be
involved would be if he were making a new blueprint manually. You can
add shrink dimension by dimension (linear), then redraw the part, then
build a completely new 3D model. All I was asking was to see if he would
simply admit that you have to use a 3D Moldeling program to add shrink
to 3D objects efficiently. He switched off on the linear shrink rant
because he don't have a 3D modeler and he couldn't complete what I asked
him to do. He never posted an answer to the question I asked but
proceeded to split off into word games that some of you followed off
into oblivion and forgot that he was not ever able to add shrink to the
parts I posted. I started to ask him how did he add non-uniform shrink
using the same single linear calculation method but I didn't.

If I were making a 2D drawing from scratch I still would not add shink
in his linear method, I would build the cad file to size. Denote the
shrink factor to be added in the Title block specs, and then build the
model with no shrink added and later add shrink to a copy of the model
in one command, Scale 3D.
Was that so hard to answer?

Would any employer buy 3D Modeling software and then ask you to add
shrink to a 300-400 dimension model or any other 3D part using single
dimension "linear" calculations? I would suspect that you would be
reprimanded and asked "why don't you learn to use this mega buck
software we bought or perhaps seek other employment"

Todays successful companies don't pay "diddlers" to add shrink dimension
by dimension.

See attached page Cliff, 'er uh Tom.
http://www.microsystemsgeorgia.com/shrink.html
Michael
jon banquer
2003-12-28 00:56:10 UTC
Post by Michael Gailey
Post by Tom Dailey
[...]
Michael,

This Qwest account used by "Tom Dailey" seems to be shared by
many people.

Here are some IP addresses from some of "Ron Smith's"

63.231.132.115

63.229.208.34

Here is the IP Address of this post:

63.231.132.106

My bet would be this is GaryR's account and he shares it.

What makes you believe, like I do, that this is a phony poster ?

jon
jon banquer
2003-12-28 01:02:32 UTC
Post by jon banquer
Post by Michael Gailey
Post by Tom Dailey
jb ever was and does the exact things he criticizes jb for doing.<
If you don't like the way Cliff treats Jon, then why do you treat
Cliff
Post by jon banquer
in
Post by Michael Gailey
Post by Tom Dailey
answered his "linear" post, even when Bing said you were wrong.
Neither
Post by jon banquer
you
Post by Michael Gailey
Post by Tom Dailey
[...]
One more "Ron Smith" IP Address that I noted from one of "Ron's"
past posts:

63.231.132.59

jon
Santa Cruz Mike
2003-12-28 01:43:35 UTC
Post by jon banquer
My bet would be this is GaryR's account and he shares it.
What makes you believe, like I do, that this is a phony poster ?
jon
hehehehe.. you think??

Gary
2003-12-28 02:49:29 UTC
Post by Santa Cruz Mike
Post by jon banquer
My bet would be this is GaryR's account and he shares it.
What makes you believe, like I do, that this is a phony poster ?
jon
hehehehe.. you think??
No, he does not...

And once agin...
Babble-Boy gots it wrong...

hehehehe.. you surprised??
Michael Gailey
2003-12-28 03:14:45 UTC
Post by Santa Cruz Mike
Post by jon banquer
My bet would be this is GaryR's account and he shares it.
What makes you believe, like I do, that this is a phony poster ?
jon
hehehehe.. you think??
Well,Dear mr. whomever, it is doesn't matter who you are.
The question and answer is still the same. If you work using "modern
era" techniques/namely 3D Modelers of most any kind (even entry level
Bobcad does this) the most efficient and most accurate solution is still
the same.

Dear Mr Whomever, please post in text what the proper "efficient"
method for adding shrink to the part posted in this link would be using
your particular 1D method. Please list calculation by calculation using
your single "linear" dimension shrink factor method and Notepad. Don't
skip any of the dimensions please. FWIW, this was a 60 meg model and I
have only shown the drag half of the model in the picture. The core and
cavity are not shown either.

http://www.microsystemsgeorgia.com/shrink.html

Now "Dear mr whomever", you may or may nor understand why I didn't
apologize for to being wrong, because based on my approach to resolve a
complex modeling shrink addition problem I wasn't wrong, much more
efficient maybe but not wrong. If somebody else perhaps "our mystery
guy" does 3D modeling using 1D linear calculations for each and every
dimension then he may not be wrong either, uninformed maybe, behind the
times possibly, perhaps ignorant to current techniques available but
maybe not wrong.
FWIW, you sound as if you may be a newcomer to 3D Modeling, if that is
the case then take this as good advice and go find an entry level 3D
Modeler to start practicing with. I would suggest downloading the FREE
demo version of Rhino http://www.rhino3d.com to see how 3D Scale works
on their included sample models. You can test adding shrink factor/scale
to parts in several ways:

a. 1D Scale (mainly recommended for one dimensional "linear distance"
work- somewhat dated by todays standards but would work dimension by
dimension) To complete adding shrink to a 3D model you will first
calculate every single dimension, make a new cad file, build an
oversized model, that couldn't take long could it? Delivery dates
pending. 1D will only distort a 3D model from it's original shape along
a single direction.

b. 2D Scale (half the work of 1D Scale- Single Plane Scale- G17 or G18
or G19 or any User Defined Plane- pick any one of the above and scale
away) 2D Scale will also distort a 3D model from it's original shape but
only in two directions.

c. 3D Scale -Scales the whole shooting match in one calculation, ideal
for complex 3D parts like several references made repeatedly- saves the
company time, brings product to the cnc faster for machining, less
chance of a miscalculations, you may actually make a profit if you do
things efficiently. *

* of course I don't work by the hour, I work per job, I may have a
specific reason to turn modeling jobs at a different rate than an hourly
worker.

Michael

Michael
Gary
2003-12-28 02:47:57 UTC
Post by jon banquer
This Qwest account used by "Tom Dailey" seems to be shared by
many people.
Here are some IP addresses from some of "Ron Smith's"
63.231.132.115
63.229.208.34
63.231.132.106
My bet would be this is GaryR's account and he shares it.
LOL... Once again... Your "delusions" run amuck... One day,
Babble-Boy... One day you'll git something right... It'll be purely
by chance, but it's gotta happen sooner or later...

You may like to know... There are several people who use MY
account... However they ALL post using the same name & the same
computer... It's not a secret, I've said that before... Your lil
Beaver antics amused enough of my neighbors that they got involved...
long ago...
Post by jon banquer
What makes you believe, like I do, that this is a phony poster ?
Tell us again Babble-Boy... About how you're not "delusional"...

Gary & Harvey (the one & only "TRUE" GOD)
Michael Gailey
2003-12-28 03:17:32 UTC
Post by jon banquer
Michael,
This Qwest account used by "Tom Dailey" seems to be shared by
many people.
Here are some IP addresses from some of "Ron Smith's"
63.231.132.115
63.229.208.34
63.231.132.106
My bet would be this is GaryR's account and he shares it.
What makes you believe, like I do, that this is a phony poster ?
jon
jon,
It doesn't matter which guy it may be posting this stuff, the question
and answer is still the same. See my reply to SC Mike for detailed
explanation I posted.
Michael
Michael Gailey
2003-12-28 00:43:56 UTC
The most ironic thing about his (Cliff's) posts are that he is worse than
^^^^^^^^^

One more thing Cliff, 'er uh Tom, the next time you purport to quote me
don't edit what I said by inserting things I didn't type.
Michael
Gary
2003-12-28 02:52:36 UTC
Post by Michael Gailey
The most ironic thing about his (Cliff's) posts are that he is worse than
^^^^^^^^^
One more thing Cliff, 'er uh Tom, the next time you purport to quote me
don't edit what I said by inserting things I didn't type.
Michael,

Did you catch the digital contagion called: Beaver'itis?

Tom Dailey is NOT CliffyPoo...

Nobody posts from my IP or computer using any other identity...
Michael Gailey
2003-12-28 03:26:34 UTC
Post by jon banquer
Michael,
Did you catch the digital contagion called: Beaver'itis?
Tom Dailey is NOT CliffyPoo...
Nobody posts from my IP or computer using any other identity...
Gary, then I will take you at your word.
Actually whomever is posting this is irrelevant, the poster is not and
has not been the issue.
Michael
Bill
2003-12-24 19:25:37 UTC
Post by V8
I just had a serious gouge that didn't show up in verficiation. Turns out
the reason was because the machine is old and during a G0 travels at 45
degrees then in X or Y only to get to the programmed point. I suppose I
could make the clearance level above the part or use a feed rate for rapid
but I wonder if other people have this problem?
Yup, we've all done that at least once. Clearance move above the part
is the common practice (at least for milled aerospace parts). That way
you can move the job from machine to machine without fear.

Bill
Cliff Huprich
2003-12-24 19:48:58 UTC
Post by Bill
Clearance move above the part
is the common practice (at least for milled aerospace parts). That way
you can move the job from machine to machine without fear.
Somebody's bound to yell & scream about cutting air <G>.
(Then some blasted idiot is going to use MDI edits ... )
Cliff
Garlicdude
http://www.pulsareng.com/
Michael Gailey
2003-12-24 21:48:30 UTC
Post by V8
I just had a serious gouge that didn't show up in verficiation. Turns out
the reason was because the machine is old and during a G0 travels at 45
degrees then in X or Y only to get to the programmed point. I suppose I
could make the clearance level above the part or use a feed rate for rapid
but I wonder if other people have this problem?
Do newer machines travel in a straight line, if so about what year did this
become common? I thought all machines did the dog leg thing, I'm going to
take my dinasour for a walk now.
Thanks
V8
V8,
When there a vector move is about to be made and there is no retract
level in the program, you can safely assume that the tool will crash
into whatever lies between the start point and end point of the
movement. Most all (modern era) CAM programs show the vector movement
retract path with a dashed line, just so you can always know what will
happen when the program is started.
If you are manually programming or editing the toolpath, FIRST, check
the part Z height (vertical milling apps) and insert a retract with
enough z clearance that the part is not trashed when the repositioning
movement happens. For standard post options Z6.0 would be a generally
safe setting for a mill. Older routers rarely have that much Z travel,
Komo is usually about 3 inches. The newer Komo's are about 15 inches.
http://www.microsystemsgeorgia.com/large_parts.htm

Michael
Cliff Huprich
2003-12-25 10:51:05 UTC
Post by Michael Gailey
Post by V8
[...]
What part of "dog leg" was unclear?
This effect WILL NOT show on the CAM system or even a backplot
of any G-code. It's machine & control specific.

This guy's a never ending wonder <G>.
Cliff Huprich
Anthony
2003-12-24 21:55:09 UTC
Post by V8
I just had a serious gouge that didn't show up in verficiation. Turns
out the reason was because the machine is old and during a G0 travels
at 45 degrees then in X or Y only to get to the programmed point. I
suppose I could make the clearance level above the part or use a feed
rate for rapid but I wonder if other people have this problem?
Do newer machines travel in a straight line, if so about what year did
this become common? I thought all machines did the dog leg thing, I'm
going to take my dinasour for a walk now.
Thanks
V8
This depends on your control. Mazak and many others, if you do not set a
parameter telling it to travel in synchronous mode, will rapid in
asynchronous mode.

Synchronous mode == the axis are interpolated and feedrates adjusted
automatically so that the tool(table) travel in a straight line to the
programmed target point.

Asynchronous mode == each axis travels at it's maximum feedrate
independently of the other axis until it has reached the programmed
target point.
--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email
Cliff Huprich
2003-12-25 10:51:04 UTC
Post by Kirk Gordon
when you do an occasional X-Z or Y-Z rapid move.
Also of note ... IIRC some controls do not allow feed rate
overrides on G00 rapid moves but do with G01 Fxxxx moves ....
Cliff
Michael Gailey
2003-12-25 14:02:54 UTC
Idiot check....
I traced back to find who made these original comments, and to no
surprise it was The Usual Suspect again.

Uninformed comment#1...
What part of "dog leg" was unclear?
This effect WILL NOT show on the CAM system or even a backplot
of any G-code. It's machine & control specific.

This guy's a never ending wonder <G>.

Uninformed comment #2...

No "verification" program will show such events <g>.

To be such a "know it all" this guy is wrong again.
Haven't actually done much CAM programming have you?

Proof that this is displayed in CAM systems, even with settings for
exactly how you want to see it. If you watch you can also see the
Feedrates etc in the GCode dialog box as the move is made, I suspect
this person never saw Smartcam before. FWIW, legacy Smartcam isn't even
a new product. This has been an option for almost 20 years now.
FWIW, machine and control specific, uh yes, that is what Smartcam does.
It displays and generates the gcode as per the Post Processor
instructions for the control (whatever you config it to display), as it
reads the post it shows what the results are real time. This is not a
new thing folks.

Cliff Huprich
2003-12-25 22:37:38 UTC
Post by Michael Gailey
Idiot check....
I traced back to find who made these original comments, and to no
surprise it was The Usual Suspect again.
Absolutely amazing.
Post by Michael Gailey
Uninformed comment#1...
What part of "dog leg" was unclear?
Well, what part was?
Post by Michael Gailey
This effect WILL NOT show on the CAM system or even a backplot
of any G-code. It's machine & control specific.
This guy's a never ending wonder <G>.
Yep. So it seems.
Post by Michael Gailey
Uninformed comment #2...
No "verification" program will show such events <g>.
Quite true. It verifies the g-ciode *as produced*. NOT what a
cotrol may later do with the code depending on conditions.
Post by Michael Gailey
To be such a "know it all" this guy is wrong again.
Haven't actually done much CAM programming have you?
<GGG>.
Post by Michael Gailey
Proof that this is displayed in CAM systems,
Exactly my point. That's BEFORE the machine decided what to do.
Post by Michael Gailey
even with settings for
exactly how you want to see it.
How you "want to see it" has little to do with *what the machine will do*
when it adds moves (see "Dogleg".)
Post by Michael Gailey
If you watch you can also see the
Feedrates etc in the GCode dialog box as the move is made,
You see the move as it is made on the machine. On the screen you
see graphics.
Post by Michael Gailey
I suspect
this person never saw Smartcam before.
Based on what you keep saying about it I highly doubt that I'd ever
want to <G>.
Post by Michael Gailey
FWIW, legacy Smartcam isn't even
a new product. This has been an option for almost 20 years now.
Good seller is it? People like you canuse it to make .....?
Post by Michael Gailey
FWIW, machine and control specific, uh yes, that is what Smartcam does.
It displays and generates the gcode as per the Post Processor
instructions for the control (whatever you config it to display), as it
reads the post it shows what the results are real time. This is not a
new thing folks.
The posting comes before the machine sees the code. THAT
can be plotted.
The "real time" results on the machine may differ though <BSEG>.

Just think of where that fixture comp is set too ...... LOL ....
Post by Michael Gailey
http://www.microsystemsgeorgia.com/dogleg.htm
This guy's getting to be almost as good as jb .....
Cliff
Cliff Huprich
2003-12-26 02:25:23 UTC
Post by Michael Gailey
Uninformed comment #2...
No "verification" program will show such events <g>.
To be such a "know it all" this guy is wrong again.
Haven't actually done much CAM programming have you?
Proof that this is displayed in CAM systems, even with settings for
exactly how you want to see it. If you watch you can also see the
Feedrates etc in the GCode dialog box as the move is made, I suspect
this person never saw Smartcam before. FWIW, legacy Smartcam isn't even
a new product. This has been an option for almost 20 years now.
FWIW, machine and control specific, uh yes, that is what Smartcam does.
It displays and generates the gcode as per the Post Processor
instructions for the control (whatever you config it to display), as it
reads the post it shows what the results are real time. This is not a
new thing folks.
http://www.microsystemsgeorgia.com/dogleg.htm
BTW, Some machines have different maximum velocities along
different axes ...... so I kind of doubt that a YES/NO "show doglegs?"
answer will do <G>.
Cliff
Cliff Huprich
2003-12-25 20:13:54 UTC
Post by Kirk Gordon
Post by Cliff Huprich
Post by Kirk Gordon
You're wrong, wronger, and wrongest, Cliff. Where do you get these
ideas?
Years of real world shop programming?
On what world, exactly?
This may get interesting <g>.
Post by Kirk Gordon
Post by Cliff Huprich
Post by Kirk Gordon
I decide which kinds of motion need linear acceleration
characteristics, and which should be exponential, and how to set
the DIFFERENT parameters that go with rapid and feed moves,
precisely for the purpose of making the machine go as quick as
possible without beating itself to death.
And you would beat them to death with G01 Fxxxx?
Here's the facts and details. You can think what you like.
The grinder model that I build most often will rapid (G0) at 600IPM,
or 10 inches per second. It typically has a linear accel/decel profile,
with a time constant set at 150ms. To get from sitting still to 10 IPS
in just .15 seconds means an acceleration of 10/.15, or 66.6667 inches
per second per second.
Let's remember that number. Let's set R (for rapid acceleration) = 66.6667
Post by Kirk Gordon
This same machine has a maximum useful cutting feedrate between 20
and 30 IPM. That has nothing to do with the machine design, really.
It's just what grinding wheels and typical materials need in order to
work best. The machine needs to be extremely accurate, and to make VERY
smooth and neat transitions from one cutting move to the next. I set
the maximum G1 cutting rate at 80 IPM, and use linear accel/decel mode
with a time constant of 20ms. 80 IPM is 1.3333 inches per second, so to
get to that speed from a standstill in .02 seconds means an acceleration
of 1.333/.02, or 66.6667 inches per second per second.
Let's remember that number too. Let's set F (for feedrate acceleration) =
Post by Kirk Gordon
Neat how they both work out the same, huh? That makes it real easy
to choose the right size ballscrews and servo motors.
Did you do that on purpose for that reason?

Now let's note the prior clams/statements about the machines bashing
themselves to bits if using G01 Fxxxx for rapids.
As we know, force = mass * acceleration. The mass is a constant and
it seems that F = R (see above).

**Where is the difference in force to bash the machine apart?**
Post by Kirk Gordon
If I were to attempt a rapid move with G1 (assuming I set the max
allowed feedrate at something fairly quick), then the G1 accel/decel
type and time constant would be applied to whatever feedrate was
programmed. Let's say, just to be conservative, that I choose only half
of the normal rapid rate, and program G1 F300.0. 300 IPM is 5 inches
per second. To get to that speed in just .02 seconds would mean an
acceleration of 250 inches per second per second - nearly four times
more than a G0 move would require, even though the machine is only
moving half as fast.
What hat did the .02 seconds come out of? You already have F = R.

Beginning to see a problem here?
Post by Kirk Gordon
That means four times as much force on the
ballscrew, and the thrust bearing, and the brackets and fasteners that
support those things. It also means four times more strength required
in the places where all the moving stuff is mounted, and where the
rigidity of the machine is realized.
But your argument seems to be backwards to begin with ....
Post by Kirk Gordon
Of course, I COULD set a softer accel/decel for the feed moves, but
then there's that little problem of grinding workpieces properly, and of
getting the smooth and precise transitions I want between moves. My
customers, for some reason, seem to think that those things are important.
And, as a result, you have F = R *for your machine*. Your claimed
result is null .... perhaps you should claim that G00 rapids will bash
your machine apart or put a sign on it (MAXIMUM RAPID RATE ABC
IPM BUT DO NOT USE MORE THAN 25%).
Post by Kirk Gordon
Under the circumstances described above, even with the G1 "rapid"
moves going just half as fast as real rapid moves, some serious,
precise, and expensive parts of the machine would need to be AT LEAST
four times stronger than with G0 rapids.
You had best look in that hat again <G>.
Post by Kirk Gordon
With regard to whether the machine would beat itself to death,
consider this: I normally plan a safety margin of about 100% into the
kind of mechanical things we're talking about here. If you used G1 for
300 IPM rapid moves, you'd eat up all of that safety margin, and STILL
be creating DOUBLE the worst case forces that critical machine
components have been designed for. And if you tried to use ALL of the
600 IPM rapid speed, so your cycles didn't slow down, then you'd exceed
the machine's maximum, worst case design parameters by a factor of 300%.
I'm certain it's in the hat ... <G>.

BTW (serious) speaking of safety margins ... what failure mode(s) did you .
design in for those crashes? What breaks or needs to be
fixed/replaced/adjusted later? How much cost & bother is involved?
Post by Kirk Gordon
Yes, I could build the machine to withstand that. All I'd need would
be bigger ballscrews, and bigger thrust bearings, and bigger, heavier
mountings for both, and bigger castings and bases to accomodate the
other oversize stuff. Then I'd need bigger servo motors to deliver the
bigger accelerations, and bigger drives to run the bigger servos. And,
since everyting about the mechanical part of the machine has gotten
bigger and heavier, the new motors will need to be MORE than 4 times as
powerful as the old ones. Maybe 5 or 6 times, before I'm finished with
all the new engineering, and finished adding new safety margins.
F remains equal to R. And force equals force.
Post by Kirk Gordon
And when all that's done, I'll only have to charge another $10,000 or
$20,000 for my machines, and everybody will be happy.
Or, just in case my customers have something better to do with $10 or
$20 thousand dollars of their money, I can leave the design like it is,
and use rapid moves for rapid, and feed moves for cutting, and promote
the idea that foolish, short-sighted, half-assed programming techniques
are not a good idea.
I almost hate to point out that hat .... <G>.
Post by Kirk Gordon
Post by Cliff Huprich
Post by Kirk Gordon
And your question about how/why there'd be too many feedrates to
edit tells me that you haven't actually done what you're suggesting
to the person who asked the original question.
Do they have a mill or a lathe or a .....? And YOU are thinking ONLY
of MDI programming, ala jb.
The problems, and the most basic of sound procedures, apply to any
machine, and to any programming method.
Yep. Force equals force and acceleration equals acceleration. It does
not matter if you get it as a result of G00 or G01.
Post by Kirk Gordon
Post by Cliff Huprich
You have a lot of such dogleg issues with your lathes?
Everybody does. It's called "programming". You move around the
tailstock, and you watch out for chuck jaws, and you try not to drag a
grooving tool sideways through the work at rapid speeds on your way out
of a groove, and little stuff like that. Machining centers are even
more interesting. There's more axes to move, and more stuff to watch
out for, and a wider range of tool types with different lengths and
diameters, and... You really ought to try this stuff, Cliff. It's
loads of fun.
And after enough years it gets to be just a tad boring.
Post by Kirk Gordon
Post by Cliff Huprich
Post by Kirk Gordon
I'm assuming, incidentally, that the machine in question actually
HAS the capacity use G94/G95. Not all do. If you attempted to use
IPR throughout the program, then the G1 rapid moves would be a
nightmare. You'd either have to set a constant RPM and calculate
some chip load that would give you the motion speed you wanted, or
you'd have to deal with the servos moving slowly at large
diameters, and attempting IMMENSE speeds when the tool got close to
center.
Postprocessor functions ...
I don't care if you use a post processor, a food processor, or just a
wild guess. Constant surface speed control is an IMPORTANT feature on
almost any lathe.
Tell hamei <g>.
Post by Kirk Gordon
If you have to program constant revs, then you're
limiting your machine in some serious ways that affect efficiency, tool
life, workpiece finish and quality, and more.
Or a few of the others.
Post by Kirk Gordon
Or, if you happen to have
G94/G95 functions available, then you're going to have programs that are
harder to read when they appear on he operator's screen in the shop.
They can read & get screens these days?
Post by Kirk Gordon
And they'll be harder to proof, and harder to optimize, and harder to
maintain. And that makes no sense!
That's where good programming in the first place comes in. No need
for jb to play with etch-a-sketch Mark 13.
Post by Kirk Gordon
And, when you suggest that a postprocessor is the answer to the
questions involved here, you confess some VERY strange ideas about good
shop practice.
Nope. It's a simple matter of good programming practices. Why not
strive to use the best?

BTW, Did you miss the CSS vs. RPM lathe thread with hamei &
myself some months back?
Post by Kirk Gordon
You don't seem to mind that EVERY rapid line in a whole
program, and EVERY cutting line in a whole program, would need to have a
feedrate specified, and re-specified, in order to keep switching back
and forth from G1 cutting moves to G1 rapid moves.
ONLY as a "fix" for dogleg issues & lazy programmers on
controls/machines that do not support interpolated rapids.
And, as long as machine memory is not an issue ....

(NOTE: NOT every line. It's modal on most controls these days <G>.)

BTW, Fixture offsets & coordinate system shifts may, if poorly
programmed, also pose similar problems even on machines that do
support linear interpolation for rapids. Or feeds.
Post by Kirk Gordon
And you seem to
think that editing such a program is for the CAM system to worry about,
CAD/CAM or CAM systems are NOT for "editing". Editing breaks
& loses associativity and makes maintaining good programs nearly
impossible, among other things.
Post by Kirk Gordon
and not an issue for actual human beings. That's nonsense.
You must be thinking of jb.
Post by Kirk Gordon
Think about this little example. The programmer uses the CAM system
to spit out, say, a couple hundred lines of code for the VMC. The
operator sets it up, proofs the program, cuts the first part, and then
takes it to the inspection room to get it blessed. Then, all that
remains is a little bit of tweaking with speeds and feeds, just to get
the finishes right, and to make the tools last a long time, and to cut a
little fat out of the cycle time.
Usually, that's just tinkering for the sake of tinkering. And to do so
AFTER the parts are good is an intolerable practice.

That "fat" may be there for a sound purpose; the programmer may
well know 10 times as much about tool life (a *cost factor*) as
the operator. Do you WANT jb making that $1 tool last 4 times as
long while taking 8 times as long to make the parts so he can lean on
his broom?
Post by Kirk Gordon
If you do things my way, that
probably means shop-floor, MDI editing of a single feedrate at the top
of each tool's operation. If we do things your way, it means many, MANY
lines of code that have F numbers in them, that all have to be changed -
without mistakes - just to optimize a single tool's operation.
A) Nope. See the bit about Nope either above or inother posts.
B) See the bit above dealing with maintaining CNC code & associativity.
C) See the bit about tinkering.
D) See the bit about inspection.

E) **Consider better programming practices.**
Post by Kirk Gordon
Should
we REALLY take this back to the programming room, and have them send us
a whole new piece of code? Or would it make more sense for operators to
get it all dialed in just once, easily and quickly, and then send the
optimized stuff back to the programmers for storage and future use?
The programmer's code had better be associative. The MDI edits can
never be NOR do they lead to better programming practices. AND if
there's ever any change they will all go away anyway and it's back
to repeat the endless cycle of MDI edits & "proofing".

Consider: Most such machining uses a smallish number of tools
on a limited variety of materials tro product a fairly fixed set of features
in most shope.
Let's consider one simple case: a half inch hole drilled one diameter
deep in alloy XYZ. In some shops this may be 10% of the work I suppose ...

Do you want:

A) The programmer programming those holes the same way every
time for all such parts so that they all come out right all the time, firts
time, every time, now & in the future

Or do you want

B) The random operators always changing the programs all the time
for each & every hole on each & every part each & every time they get
a program?
Post by Kirk Gordon
And what if it takes a couple tries to get things right? What if the
operator wants to experiment with the feedrates, before he settles in to
let things run production? Does the whole thing get reprogrammed every
single time? Not in my shop it doesn't.
Then you (or someone) should take a long, hard look at your methods
& business practices as it seems nobody there knows how to drill a
hole <G>.

What YOU ARE DOING IS EXACTLY THAT (reprogramming) but in
MDI at the control which is

A) MUCH slower.
B) Nonassociative
C) Nobody learned a thing, did they? Start over again tomorrow doing
the same silly things. And the day after ...
Post by Kirk Gordon
Of course, we're talking about a program that's already fit to run,
and that's been proofed and found to be free of serious problems. But
how did we get to that point? Well, we loaded up the program, and set
all the offsets, and then carefully stepped through the program with the
rapid over-ride switch turned down to... Oh. Waitaminute. The rapid
over-ride only works on G0 moves; and we aren't using those. And the
feedrate over-ride dial now controls everything, so we'll be cranking
that way to the left for every "rapid" move we want to watch carefully,
and then cranking it back where it belongs when it's time to cut
something, and then hoping we can actually tell the difference between
what's supposed to be fast and what's supposed to be slow, when we're
manually juggling every move in the whole damned program. You don't
like MDI editing, Cliff?
I'd suggest better programming practices to begin with. Quality
starts there. You are INSPECTING it in.
Post by Kirk Gordon
Then you're really gonna HATE full manual
feedrate control, every time somebody tries to proof a brand new
program. And it'll be especially fun when somebody loses his rhythm and
cranks the dial the wrong way at just the wrong time.
Because your quality is not there to begin with? Who is doing
this terrible programming?
Post by Kirk Gordon
Post by Cliff Huprich
Post by Kirk Gordon
This wouldn't be as much of a problem on a machining center, where
most feedrates are in IPM anyway; but machining center programs are
generally MUCH more complex than the silly little thing shown
above, and there's be feedrates in practically every other line!
Jesus!
Never done much CAD/CAM programming?
The front-end software on my grinders IS a CAM system. I wrote it.
I've used other, standard systems; but I don't claim to be an expert
with any of those. The issue here isn't where the programs come from;
but what they look like, and how they act, when you load them into a
real machine tool.
We started with doglegs ..... how does your "CAM system" produce
such bad code?
Post by Kirk Gordon
Post by Cliff Huprich
Post by Kirk Gordon
So, the right way to answer the original question is to learn sound
procedures, or proper parameter settings, so that G0 is a real and
useful part of the programms.
Good programming practices always matter .... in part because you
don't always know what machine xyz you have never seen before will
actually do today ... Knowing machine xyz allows you to write or
configure a good post for it.
If your main concern is to configure a post, rather than to use good
all-around methods,
The proper post for the job is part of good programming practices. So
is knowing NOT to assume certain things about machines. Some of
us are of the "better safe than sorry " school.
Post by Kirk Gordon
and to put good programs in your machines
If you are doing that MDI thing you are clearly starting out with
bad ones.
Post by Kirk Gordon
and make
good parts, then you're already pointed in exactly the wrong direction;
So you should start with bad programs, tinker with them endlessly,
get a part that passes inspection, then tinker with the bad programs
some more?
You have any machine time left in there to make any parts?
Post by Kirk Gordon
and I wouldn't let you in my shop even to sweep the floors.
Seemingly, I did not apply <G>.

"If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him."

Francois Voltaire
--Letters
Cliff
Cliff Huprich
2003-12-25 21:39:00 UTC
Post by Kirk Gordon
a standstill in .02 seconds means an acceleration
Kirk,
What you are claiming *might* make some sense IF the
machine's crazed builder had set the acceleration for G01 moves
to be higher than for G00 moves.
But. I suspect, if that were ever the case, the end feedrate
would not affect the acceleration ... it would (per your theory)
be just as damaging for F2 moves as F400 moves as the
acceleration (and thus maximum forces on bearing surfaces)
would be the same though the time the force was applied
would be less (per move) ... but normally there are a lot more
moves at feedrate and direction changes than at rapid for many
operations as well.

Now, which machines do you know of that have higher
feedrates than rapids <G>?
Cliff
Anthony
2003-12-26 01:45:53 UTC
Post by Cliff Huprich
Post by Kirk Gordon
a standstill in .02 seconds means an acceleration
Kirk,
What you are claiming *might* make some sense IF the
machine's crazed builder had set the acceleration for G01 moves
to be higher than for G00 moves.
But. I suspect, if that were ever the case, the end feedrate
would not affect the acceleration ... it would (per your theory)
be just as damaging for F2 moves as F400 moves as the
acceleration (and thus maximum forces on bearing surfaces)
would be the same though the time the force was applied
would be less (per move) ... but normally there are a lot more
moves at feedrate and direction changes than at rapid for many
operations as well.
Now, which machines do you know of that have higher
feedrates than rapids <G>?
Admittedly, I haven't read the entire thread. But from my knowledge of
setting up CNC controls, There is a parameter for Max Feedrate, this
parameter is effective irregardless of G0 or G1 or whatever code you use.
You can program 100,000 mm/min if you wish, but if this parameter is set
to 60,000 mm/min, 60,000 mm/min is all you are going to get. When rapid
traverse is called this is where it gets the feedrate for Rapid.
Differing accel's / Decels for G0 vs G1 or any other command depends on
the control. Take a Siemens 805 for example, MD2760, 61, 62, 63,
determine the accel/decel ramp in m/s(sqrd) for each axis, and is used
for all movements, the same rate is used for both accel and decel,
irregardless of G command. On newer siemens controls however, these are
separate (accel and decel) as well as the shape of the curve can be
modified (nice for robotics) Instead of a straight linear accel/decel you
can do things such as a parabolic curve, which is much easier on the
mechanical hardware.

Remember:

G0 simply means move at maximum feedrate to X position.

G1 simply means move at F feedrate to X position.

The only difference is that one (G1) allows you to program some other
feedrate than Maximum.

Some controls refer to G0 as 'rough positioning' and have a larger target
window associated with a rapid move than they do with a G1.
--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email
Santa Cruz Mike
2003-12-26 02:30:13 UTC
sniped out stuff..
Post by Anthony
G0 simply means move at maximum feedrate to X position.
G1 simply means move at F feedrate to X position.
The only difference is that one (G1) allows you to program some other
feedrate than Maximum.
Some controls refer to G0 as 'rough positioning' and have a larger target
window associated with a rapid move than they do with a G1.
--
Anthony
Good points Anthony,

G0 and G1 have many differences that are not always quite obvious:

the accel and decel is different..

If you have short rapid moves in Feed mode at 150 IPM. The movements are very
hard and a bit noisy. If you rapid at the same speed over the same pattern the
moves are smoother and quiter.. but slower overal... when surfacing with lots
of short rapid moves.. it can really speed up the cycle with High feed rate
moves instead.. Most CAM systems will let you do that now..

The lag is differernt.,,

If you flip your machine into diagnostics mode to watch sevo lag, you will find
that when using G1 or G0 at the same feed rate say 150 IPM.. the servo lag
will be much larger in rapid mode. then in feed mode..

Out of position error...

In feed mode G1, the max out of position before correction, shut down, axis
alarm, reposition etc, is much smaller.. many ways related to servo lag..

In rapid mode.. the max out of position is wide open.. surface machine a part
in rapid mode at 150 IPM.. then do the same with a feed rate of 150IPM.. there
will be quite a difference in the two finished parts.. same with profiles,
corners, etc..

And we won't even talk about the whole nother issue of what is added and lost
in controls that convert metric screws, scales, etc to inches.. for read out
and positioning.. not so big now.. but until five years ago or so.. are real
issue.. a real problem on the old B&S grinders.. a machine that read out to
.0001 but actually rounded up and down to .000078.. what a rip off when trying
to gind to .0001 .. sometimes not move when positioned another .0001 then move
.00015 the next time you incremented a .0001

And depending on the control there are other variables that are different when
in G1 or G0 moves.. I will look in my paramater pages in some manuals and maybe
list them..

I guess the best thing for shop dogs is just to learn to read the documentation
that comes with their machines and CAM systems..

Then they wouldn't sound so stupid..

Kirk Gordon
2003-12-27 17:37:16 UTC
Post by Anthony
G0 simply means move at maximum feedrate to X position.
G1 simply means move at F feedrate to X position.
The only difference is that one (G1) allows you to program some other
feedrate than Maximum.
Not true, Anthony, unless you're talking about some of the crudest
and crappiest controls ever built. As far back as 1976, when the first
Fanuc and Yasnac controls became popular (and when other builders around
the world began emulating them), rapids and feedrates have been
accomplished by different kinds of moves.

G0 means accelerate to a preset high rate of travel, using an
accel/decel type and time constant which is reserved specifically for
high-speed positioning moves.

G1 (or G2, G3, etc.) means accelerate to a user-programmed rate of
travel, using a DIFFERENT accel/decel type and/or time constant that's
set specifically for the different demands placed on machine motion when
a tool is actually cutting.

On some machines, there's a third set of accel/decel factors which
control special kinds of moves, like G31 (skip function, as often used
with probes and presetters), or G32 (the most basic threading command on
a lathe). With these moves, it's often important to have the shortest,
sharpest accel and decel possible - even shorter and sharper than for
normal feed cutting. You don't want the machine to coast or decelerate
very far, after your tool point has made contact with a probe. And you
don't want a threading tool to take it's time getting up to speed, or to
slow down early at the end of a cut. Accurate thread pitches require
the tool to move at EXACTLY the programmed rate, whenever it's in
contact with the work.

On many machines - especially lathes - the real, useful feedrate
maximum for cutting moves is MUCH bigger than what the machine will
actually do. A lathe might need, for example, to have the ability to
cut thread pitches that are one inch long - 1.0000 inches per rev. But
it won't be physically ABLE to do that if the spindle is running at
4,000 RPM. The shock of starting and stopping the cuts - with short,
hard accel/decel ramps - will literally walk a machine across the floor,
in some cases. On other machines, better designed, it'll shut down the
servos in a hurry. And, in cheaper, poorly designed machines, there are
special features in the software which call the dealer and automatically
order new ballscrews and thrust bearings, whenever an unacceptably high
IPR-RPM combination is detected in a program.

I've seen many cases where somebody set up a lathe, got a thread
cycle all dialed in and working well, and then tried to optimize the
program by upping the spinidle revs a bit. Somehow, mysteriously, the
gauges wouldn't go on the thread anymore. The tool wasn't chipped. The
feedrate hadn't been changed. But the threads were suddenly no damned
good! What happened, of course, was that, even though the feedrate in
IPR had remained the same, the effective rate in IPM had increased to
match the changing spindle speed. As the IPM rate became bigger, so did
the distance traveled by the tool during it's acceleration time. And if
that distance happened to be longer than the clearance allowed between
the tool's starting position and the end of the workpiece, then the tool
was still ramping up to speed when it got to the work. The first couple
threads had shorter pitches than they should have had, even though the
programmer/operator didn't understand why.

You don't want rapid moves starting and stopping as hard as they
can. It DOES beat the hell out of the machine. Soft and gradual is
much better. You also don't want feed moves to start and end with long,
gradual speed ramps, since these would affect the finsished shapes of
workpieces.

Even on early CNC's, like the first GE 1050's, which used G1 F0 for
positioning, that F0 was NOT necessarily treated like any other
feedrate. If F0 it was just another feed value, it could as easily (and
more sensibly) have been F300, or F400, or F whatever you wanted, up to
the machine's max capactiy. But the "zero" modified the command, and
invoked a softer, more gradual accel/decel action. If it hadn't, then
all those old HES and LeBlond engine lathes that were fitted with
controls and called CNC's, would have been down 100% of the time instead
of just 80 or 90%.

I know that there have been, and might still be, some controls which
behave as you describe. But they're miserable things, and rare
(thankfully), and not worth owning, once you understand the differences
between good quality systems and bottom-of-the-barrel garbage.

KG
Excitable Boy
2003-12-28 03:27:29 UTC
Post by Kirk Gordon
Not true, Anthony, unless you're talking about some of the crudest
and crappiest controls ever built. As far back as 1976, when the first
Fanuc and Yasnac controls became popular (and when other builders around
the world began emulating them),
Pfffffftt. Go to hell, Kirk. As far back as 1976 when
Yasnac and Fanuc were COPYING the decent American controls
and didn't have NEARLY the capabilities or features that
were common on Bendix, G&L, K&T, GA or even Allen-Badley
controls .... in 1976 Jap controls were absolute SHIT (and
some of us still think they are.)

Cliff Huprich
2003-12-27 20:22:44 UTC
Post by Kirk Gordon
On some machines, there's a third set of accel/decel factors which
control special kinds of moves, like G31 (skip function, as often used
with probes and presetters), or G32 (the most basic threading command on
a lathe). With these moves, it's often important to have the shortest,
sharpest accel and decel possible - even shorter and sharper than for
normal feed cutting.
Really bashes the machines apart does it <G>?
--
Cliff